Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fork Pins and How to Keep Glue Tips from Clogging >

Fork Pins and How to Keep Glue Tips from Clogging

Fork Pins and How to Keep Glue Tips from Clogging

Old 03-14-2014, 05:57 AM

Default Fork Pins and How to Keep Glue Tips from Clogging

1) Clover Fork Pins
Am taking a "Couture" class from Craftsy and the instructor (learned from a quilter) to use the Fork Pins. They are "U" shaped. Both used them a seam junctions to keep fabric straight. The "Couture" inst. sewed slowly over the pins with her Bernina. I bought mine on line at Wal Mart and picked them up at my local store. (No shipping) A pkg of 35 is $8.00.

2) I store all of my glue dispensers that have open tips UPSIDE down. I put my Fraycheck in a small cup (after closing the lid) beside my machine. I store my Elmer's Washable Glue bottle in a larger cup or container.

What this does is, it fills the tip with glue eliminating air and the glue does not harden in the tip.

3) I use the long end of one of my art paint brushes when I turn a project and must iron seams flat. I swipe the end across the seam line and this helps greatly when ironing the fabrics flat.

4) I was also taught (many moons ago) that if you want the "main" fabric to cover the "back" fabric, cut the lining or back fabric just a "tad" smaller than the main fabric. When you turn the fabrics out the lining (being smaller) pulls in behind the main fabric.

Happy Sewing!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:11 AM

I just went and turned all my Elmer's bottles upside down. Thank you so much for the tip!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:19 AM

I don't think it matters how slowly you sew. If your needle hits a pin, it can break the needle. If you don't want to sew over a pin, sew slowly until you are a stitch in front of the pin, then remove the pin. And rather than using the expensive double pins, just use single pins, one on each side of the seam, and pull them out individually.

I am a gadget person, but could never justify buying the double pins when I have 5 different kinds of pins in every pincushion I own.

And I like the tip about turning the glue bottles upside-down. Makes sense. I store all my markers upside down, so that there's always ink on the tips.

Last edited by mckwilter; 03-14-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:28 AM

I love the fork shaped pins -- I use them and a drop of glue to hold the seams together. When I was learning to sew and until I got my computerized machines I never pulled the pins out. I never had a problem. However, hitting a pin with a computerized machine is a whole different kettle of fish. I try to pull out the pins unless they are holding something critical together. I did try to leave the fork pins in when sewing (I saw someone doing it on TV years ago) but my stitch length must have been different than the person on TV because the needle hit the edge of the second pin. No damage done, but I am not interested in taking a chance so I don't try to sew over them.