Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Found Old Baby Quilt at Estate Sale, But..... >

Found Old Baby Quilt at Estate Sale, But.....

Found Old Baby Quilt at Estate Sale, But.....

Old 07-06-2010, 03:10 PM

I don't, for the life of me, understand how anyone could put a price of $25 or $7 or any amount on something that supposedly has sentimental value to them I have 3 quilts that my grandma made, 6 that my mother made and I wouldn't take a million dollars for any one of them. I have a quilt that mom made for me when I was a young child, she pieced together my receiving blankets to make the backing. The thing is so old that it's thread bare in places, I have the everyday quilt that grandma and grandpa had on their bed everyday of the year. Totally worn out yet worth more to me than the richest treasure on earth. Those quilts are priceless gems of my childhood and my life. Hopefully by explaining the history of each one my dd will feel the same way about them and never part with them, but treat them with the respect and love that they deserve.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like greed to me. She does not want it but thought she could get more when she saw how much you liked it.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

What a sad tale. I'm glad you put it back. Some people.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
What price was it when you picked it up?
There wasn't a price marked on it. Everyone was getting the prices at the checkout table. It was all pretty "on the fly". Since I wasn't expecting more than about $10 at the most, since most things were like $1 or $2, I was shocked at the $25. And at her attitude about it.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
Originally Posted by raptureready
I was at a yard sale in Texas while on vacation and spotted an old quilt that had definately seen better days. I asked the woman how much she wanted for it and she said, "$7" I said, "would you take $5?" She proceeded to tell me how her great grandmother had made the quilt and it had a lot of sentimental value to her and no, she just couldn't sell it for $5. I layed it down and took a picture of it. All I wanted it for was the pattern anyway. I just couldn't bring myself to deny this woman her heritage for a measly $7. Some people just have no class or sense.
But I'm curious too, how much was it when you first picked it up?
My hubbie says no, it doesn't take all kinds... we've just got all kinds...

You have got to be kidding!!! That extra $2 would settle the sentimental value????? whooowhee, it takes all kinds to make this crazy world!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:46 PM

Everything has a price, I guess.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by bj
Probably the fact that she was willing to sell it to begin with says a lot. That may have just been a story to boost the "value" of the quilt. It may be one she picked up at a garage sale somewhere. Am I being a pessimist here?
I think you hit the nail on the head. I was told once that I was being a pessimist and I replied, "Do you know what a pessimist is? It's an optimist with experience." LOL!
Old 08-28-2011, 06:03 PM

I also think she was trying to pull a fast one. After reading all the things on here about garage sales, I'm a little afraid to buy anything. If her story is true, I think her mother would be hurt--after all she saved it all those years.
Sue
Old 08-28-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I don't, for the life of me, understand how anyone could put a price of $25 or $7 or any amount on something that supposedly has sentimental value to them I have 3 quilts that my grandma made, 6 that my mother made and I wouldn't take a million dollars for any one of them.
Yeah, that's just astonishing. Maybe some people just don't understand how much time and effort goes into making a quilt. My grandmother died recently and I inherited two quilts from her, one made by my great grandmother and one made by her. I'd have to be really, really hard up for cash to consider selling either of them, and a measly $7 sure isn't going to do enough for my bank account to make up for what I'd be losing in letting them go. If it has sentimental value, you don't sell it. Period.