Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Found an old Spartan - what should I do? >
  • Found an old Spartan - what should I do?

• Found an old Spartan - what should I do?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 AM

I found an old Spartan sewing machine at a local thrift shop for 24.99. It's in fair condition and needs a good cleaning and oiling. Looks like it could use a new cord too. I don't know what year it is. These are really lean times for us and I really can't afford it. Should I bite the bullet and get it or maybe someone else might be interested in it.
    Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 AM

If times are lean and you dont' need it, let it slide lol....
    Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 AM
    Power Poster

You can go to the vintage section and see what they say. They deal more with vintage machines !

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm

Is it a machine you will use ? Maybe see if the store will let you try to plug it in and see if it even works . Good luck with you decision :thumbup:
    Old 06-25-2010, 10:38 AM
    Power Poster

I love old machines, but I would pass this one up during lean times. The cleaning and oiling are not a problem, but I wouldn't like the condition of the cord.

In order to re-sell this machine, you would need to find a collector. If you are in an urban area, this is easier; in a rural area you would be hard put to sell it should you need the money later.
    Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 AM

Thanks everyone. I didn't know if it was a good deal or not. I thought about keeping it for my sewing. I love the looks of the old machines.
    Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM

If you really really want it, point out the cord and offer them $15.00. And be firm, if they don't take it, leave.
    Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by LeeAnn
    Found an old Spartan - what should I do?
    ROFLMAO!! I thought perhaps you ran into my ex-husband, a Michigan State alum!!! I have plenty of suggestions what to do with that "old Spartan"...for a sewing machine, not so many. Thanks for the laugh and good luck with Sparty! :P
    Old 06-25-2010, 11:31 AM

If you can afford it.......... go for it.

A person can always use a spare machine. Would be a good machine to let a younger person learn on.
    Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by LeeAnn
    I found an old Spartan sewing machine at a local thrift shop for 24.99. It's in fair condition and needs a good cleaning and oiling. Looks like it could use a new cord too. I don't know what year it is. These are really lean times for us and I really can't afford it. Should I bite the bullet and get it or maybe someone else might be interested in it.
    It really depends on what your needs are at this time. Do you already have a sewing machine? If you have a good sewing machine, then I think that I would let this one pass by simply because you don't know that much about the motor. If you don't have a sewing machine then this one "might" be a good place to start. (I haven't sewn on one yet so I don't know how they sew.)

The Spartan is a straight stitch. From what I understand, Spartans are similar to the Singer 99 but they don't have the light on the machine like the 99. (I'm told that is the reason they are called Spartan.)
    In my own viewpoint, the Spartan doesn't have quite the same pretty style as the Singer 99.
    I recently bought a Spartan off of an auction with the purpose of making it into a handcrank. I haven't bought the handcrank parts yet but from what I've read on the internet, it can be done.

If I was looking to get a good vintage machine, I would go for the Singer 99 or Singer 66 (or Singer 201). (I think they are prettier and they have a beautiful stitch.) They aren't that difficult to work on.

picture of a Singer 99 http://s522.photobucket.com/albums/w...99/99blog1.jpg

Picture of a Singer Spartan http://californiadoll-ivil.tripod.co...es/spartan.jpg

Picture of the Singer 66 https://www.quiltsrjewels.com/store/images/SS851901.JPG
    Old 06-25-2010, 12:33 PM

I was thinking the MSU "Sparty" too! LOL Here in Michigan its the only one huh? Boo hoo if you are for Blue