Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Found out I CAN sew a nice triangle

Triangles have always been a challenge for me. Yesterday I finally tried starching my fabric. It makes all the difference in the world! I've ended up with a couple of practice blocks that look really good. The patches weren't wonky and the points aren't cut off. Easy to finger press too saving a trip to the ironing board. Plus they just look good after they're finished - nice and crisp.

This opens up a whole new world of possibilities for me. Thanks to everyone here who suggested starch. I only wish I'd found this tip sooner.

Yes, I have learned a lot of things here, including the starch tip!

The easiest thing for me is to cut the squares a half inch larger than called for. Make two triangles and then square them to the size needed.

starch is a wonderful helper

Banned
    what is your secrete for making good triangles? Share this amazine discuvery with the rest of us.

Blog Entries
    Easiest way, sew 2 squares rights sides together sew 1/4" all the way around the outside. Carefully cut on both diagonals and you will have 4 perfect HST's. If you do a search, someone posted the method to get the size you need. I make one 5" set and then go up or down from there.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Triangles have always been a challenge for me. Yesterday I finally tried starching my fabric. It makes all the difference in the world! I've ended up with a couple of practice blocks that look really good. The patches weren't wonky and the points aren't cut off. Easy to finger press too saving a trip to the ironing board. Plus they just look good after they're finished - nice and crisp.

This opens up a whole new world of possibilities for me. Thanks to everyone here who suggested starch. I only wish I'd found this tip sooner.
    Is it spray starch that you use? I would love to sew a nice triangle too! :)

Is it spray starch that you use? I would love to sew a nice triangle too!
    I bought Sta Flo liquid concentrate and mixed up enough to submerge the fabric, wring out the excess, let dry a little, then ironed. I had tried mixing and putting it in a spray bottle but this seemed to work better. I got better coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    what is your secrete for making good triangles? Share this amazine discuvery with the rest of us.
    I was using the triangle in a square ruler so it's a little different than half square triangles. But I also tried the HST method of putting together two squares, drawing a line diagonally and sewing 1/4 inch from each side of the line, then cut on the line. That worked well with the starch too.

...and glue. changed my whole way of thinking. makes me fearless. =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast