Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
found quilt top- Now how do I finish it?? please help!! >

found quilt top- Now how do I finish it?? please help!!

found quilt top- Now how do I finish it?? please help!!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Default found quilt top- Now how do I finish it?? please help!!

I found a quilt top that my mom must have started over 8 years ago. She has not sewn for at least that long. Now she has Alzheimers and does not remember doing it, but I found the same scraps used in this top. Please help me with finishing it. It needs a border and backing, any ideas??
Attached Thumbnails pict0006.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

is there any yardage that matches one of the fabrics in the quilt. if not, pick a color, say blue and make your border of that. or just bind it and quilt as you please. good luck
Old 01-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

That's a very pretty top. It looks like it's well made and has lovely colors. I don't think it needs a border, unless you particularly want one or need to make it larger. You could use just about anything you want for the back. I'm sorry about your mom's condition, but hope that finishing this quilt will help you, and maybe her, remember better times.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Does it really need a border? I would find a nice muslin to match the white (looks white on my computer) for the backing use it for binding too. pretty quilt/
Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 PM

So sorry your Mother doe's not remember making such a beautiful quilt. What a wonderful keepsake for you. So glad you found it and can finish it!!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 PM

Borders might 'stop' the eye but I don't think they are totally necessary. If you have no yardage from these fabrics I would simply pick something that blends well and go from there. For me, I try to find backing fabric that incorporates some/all of the top colors. And I usually try to pick the least common/noticed fabric in the top and find binding fabric that will pull that color. Just me. It's a beautiful quilt and your mom did a great job. Might be a nice 'hug' for her when you get it finished.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 PM

Such a pretty quilt and what a marvelous keepsake. The first thing I would do is decide on the size I want for the completed quilt. I think Lynnie's suggestion re just matching one of the color is the best way to go. I would use one of my favorite colors or if the quilt is destined for another what ever their favorite color. Since you have a gorgeous quilt as your avitar I would guess your not a newbie but if you have any questions about how to just ask. There are a lot of people here willing to help. Welcome to the Board. Please share your progress on your mom's lovely quilt.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:54 PM

I agree with the others, it would look great without a border. It's a lovely quilt and will be a wonderful remembrance of your mother's work.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 PM

scrap quilts give us such amazing freedom. pick a colour or two you like and go with it. or not, as suggested

and take some thoughts from me for yourself and your good ma.

aileen
Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Power Poster

Great quilt top and any colour you wanted would look good for a border. I think a nice happy floral would be nice on the back with maybe green border and binding? For me it would depend on the colour of the bedroom I was putting it in.