Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Found this trick by accident >

Found this trick by accident

Found this trick by accident

Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

I still press my bindings in half. They are easier for me to deal with them. I hand sew to back. Hard for an old dog to change her ways.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:59 PM

Sometimes I think I am a dork, but I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do, If you just fold the binding in half won't it leave the cut edges showing???
Old 01-06-2014, 02:07 PM

I don't get this idea. I do a french fold binding, whether bias or straight-of-grain. You have to double the fabric up - the whole point is to have TWO thicknesses of fabric on the binding, not one. When I fold it over I press it.

Are you saying you are not pressing it? Do you have to pin it or glue it or something so it doesn't get out of alignment as you sew it on?

Then when you hand-sew the binding on the back of the quilt, you have to be very careful to line it up properly. It sounds more like hand applique where you don't press the seam allowance, just turn it under.

???

But I would never never press the binding again, before or after it is applied, because the last thing I want is a crease
Old 01-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

I prefer to use bIas binding - I pin and then baste the raw edges together. I also think the bindings turn out MUCH nicer without that pressed in fold.

Last edited by bearisgray; 01-06-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM

I tried not ironing the binding a few times, but I like it better ironed. Sharon Schamber puts a little starch on the binding before she folds it, to keep it a bit stiffer while she's working with it; it sort of glues the fold closed.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:08 PM

The idea is just to avoid pressing it. So fold it in half like you normally would, pin or hold the raw edges together, pin to your quilt edge, and then sew. The idea is that when you fold it over, the inside layer would be a little bit narrower than the outside layer, so not pressing it lets the layers equalize naturally. Otherwise the inside layer might have a little extra fabric (but you wouldn't be able to see that).
Old 01-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

I discovered the no iron fold right here on the QB, will never go back to ironing a fold in my binding!
peace

And You have a happy accident, if it works for you, great!
peace
Old 01-06-2014, 04:33 PM

I agree with peckish so I not longer iron my binding
Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 AM

I, too, have learned to love the no iron binding method. I read it here and had to try it, and it really works! I am all for anything that saves me pain and time!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:06 AM

I'll try to remember not to press the binding when I fold it in half. I use washable glue to "pin" the binding to the other side so I don't have to use pins or clips but I iron the glue dry. How will this affect things?