Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Four Patch Posey Update  Help!!! >

Four Patch Posey Update Help!!!

Four Patch Posey Update Help!!!

Old 03-11-2017, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Default Four Patch Posey Update Help!!!

A few days ago I posted this thread about a new quilt pattern I learned in a class. I am really having the greatest time doing this one because each square is an adventure.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t286646.html

The pattern calls for a 1" border (1/2" finished) around each block then 2" sashing with corner stones. Everyone that had made this one in our guild used the same method of putting their quilt together. This did not speak to me and I was wanting something different. CHRISTmas green was one of the main colors in the blocks. I had a small CHRISTmas green checked fabric I wanted to use but it was too busy with my blocks. This is what I came up with and I H O N E S T L Y want your opinion before I continue. Is the red too much? Should I audition an ivory or cream colored background? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569718[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails four-four-patch-posey.jpg  
Old 03-11-2017, 05:17 AM

I think the beautiful blocks and green check areas take a 'back seat' to so much red. I do like the red, maybe a lesser amount. Maybe you could try a narrow frame around the four posey blocks and then incorporate some black in the sashing. That would make all of the individual elements stand out nicely.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:25 AM

You lose the pretty design of each block with all that bright red!
Old 03-11-2017, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

The intensity of the red is washing out your posies in my opinion. I might try a creamy colour around the posies.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

First of all I LOVE your setting. It will make a wonderful secondary pattern when assembled. Also I do love red, but I have to agree with the previous posters that the red seems to be overpowering the blocks. I think less of it would wonderful or something else to break it up. Wondering what a double sash around each block would look like? I think you need to experiment a bit more. Maybe two different fabrics where the red is. The red and a cream maybe?? Or maybe a soft gold color? And I wouldn't make them both the same size, maybe 1/2" finished of one color and 1 1/2 of the other.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:50 AM

Yes, the red over-whelms and steals the show. I think if you border the blocks with a thin strip of the red and then an ivory to compensate for the remaining border width, it would "frame" the posies and become a very nice accent.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Not long after I came to the QB, I discovered the 4PP pattern too.
All those surprises with each block, made it oh so addictive!

I really like how you have turned the 4PP on-point.
There is something about on-point settings that just seems to elevate the overall look of a quilt.
I hate cookie cutter quilts! So good for you, for switching up the finishing of your quilt
to be different from what your guild friends have done.

The colours in your 4PP blocks are more muted than the brilliant and crisp red.
I think if it were more toned to coordinate with the 4PP you would be happier.
I am not so sure of the ivory/cream, as it may wash out the blocks. But try it!
Although, maybe a cream/ivory mixed with a gold metallic might give an elegant finished look?
My gut is saying stick with the red, but look for one more coordinated with the red in the 4PP.
When I look back at your original post, you have the blocks laying on a different fabric, try it!
In the 4PP there seems to be a darker red tone into a burgundy that might be worth a try.

That is the merit of auditioning ... try what you think might be good ...
... then try some that you think are not.
Sometimes the are not's are the ones we discover to be the best!
Old 03-11-2017, 05:54 AM

yes, I think the red is overpowering. Cream might work fine. Look up Stack and Whack method for future use. It was very popular back in the 90s. I think you might like it!
Old 03-11-2017, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I love the red! It looks like each posy is a wrapped Christmas present. And my eye is drawn immediately to the presents!
Old 03-11-2017, 06:10 AM

One thing you might do is google '4-patch posie quilts' and look at the images. I did this when I was working on my 4-patch posies, to see what I liked and didn't like about the choices people had made. (In general, I thought people tended to go too bright with the frames and cornerstones, taking attention away from the blocks.) My eye has to work pretty hard to look away from the bright red you've used. I would suggest taking a longer distance photo; that's always a big help to me in determining overall effect.