Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fractions... >

Fractions...

Fractions...

Old 08-10-2015, 07:43 AM

Default Fractions...

Is Fractions a block or is it a pattern?

I've seen several patterns of Fractions, each being slightly different. It is a variation of a rail fence. Is Fractions the name of the pattern and copyrighted, or is it a block that is in the public domain?

Log cabin = block and in public domain
Rail fence = block and in public domain
Yellow Brick Road = pattern and copyrighted
Fractions = ???

Does anyone know??
Old 08-10-2015, 07:51 AM

I have seen lots of lesson plans for teachers using quilts to teach fractions but I've never seen a quilt block called fractions. I have seen a few quilt patterns which include fractions in their names. One is Charming Fractions by Kaye Wood.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:33 AM

Could you mean fractured quilt blocks?
Old 08-10-2015, 08:50 AM

LOL, I was going to try and help you with your math!! Wrong subject!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:27 AM

I've not heard of it. But am finding one from MountainPeek Creations called Fractions or Fractions on a Roll
Old 08-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

YBR is a pattern, and the pattern itself is copyrighted, but the design itself is not original so can't be copyrighted. (It's just squares and rectangles in a fairly random pattern.) Is the copyright issue the problem with you making a quilt of this type? Or are you looking for a pattern? Can you post examples of what you want to make?
Old 08-10-2015, 01:11 PM

The only Fractions pattern I found has already been mentioned....Charming Fractions. But here is a look at it...

http://www.bugfabric.com/pattern-cha...t-pattern.html

Dina
Old 08-10-2015, 01:12 PM

I made the quilt after seeing one somewhere. It's simply a large rail fence with a larger center. I made my own pattern, then many months later I saw the pattern Fractions by Mountainpeek Creations. Mine looks different because I used different fabric, but the basic rail fence block is the same.

I want to enter my quilt in a local quilt show that wants us to list the name and maker of the pattern used. Since I didn't know of the pattern before I made it and didn't use their pattern, am I required to credit them? If I make my own pattern, am I violating the copyright?

If it is a block, it's not a problem. If it's a copyrighted pattern, I'm not sure what to do.

I have attached a picture of my quilt. I don't know how to resize pictures, and I'm hoping it isn't huge.
Attached Thumbnails img_0672.jpg  
Old 08-10-2015, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
LOL, I was going to try and help you with your math!! Wrong subject!
So WAS I.......

AudreyB, there are many quilts with different names. I have never heard that your quilt was called a rail fence.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 08-10-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AudreyB View Post
I made the quilt after seeing one somewhere. It's simply a large rail fence with a larger center. I made my own pattern, then many months later I saw the pattern Fractions by Mountainpeek Creations. Mine looks different because I used different fabric, but the basic rail fence block is the same.

I want to enter my quilt in a local quilt show that wants us to list the name and maker of the pattern used. Since I didn't know of the pattern before I made it and didn't use their pattern, am I required to credit them? If I make my own pattern, am I violating the copyright?

If it is a block, it's not a problem. If it's a copyrighted pattern, I'm not sure what to do.

I have attached a picture of my quilt. I don't know how to resize pictures, and I'm hoping it isn't huge.
Your quilt is very pretty. The design is not copyrighted, only the pattern itself (meaning the written instructions). If you did not use the pattern (or even know about it) then there's no need to credit the pattern designer. If it's one of those shows where you're asked to write more about your quilt, then you might write that you came up with the design yourself, then later saw that Mountainpeek Creations had a pattern out for the same thing. Even if you had seen the pattern and figured out how to make it without the pattern, you would not have violated copyright, however in that instance I think you might want to credit the designer as having given you the inspiration, if not the instructions.