Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fray check

Seven Lakes, NC

Fray check

Has anyone ever used clear fingernail polish in the place of fray check? I am using a lot of fray check and am trying to cut down on costs. Any other suggestions?
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann

Gee, I hadn't. Heard of that, but will keep an eye on this post for sure.

Blog Entries
    This is only my opinion based on using all three of these products: Fray Check can leave crusty areas that have been 'sealed' for fraying, and I have found sometimes the color of the fabric changes slightly. Fray Block dries softer and clear. I prefer this over Fray Check. Clear fingernail polish can dry hard and crusty and does not disappear or blend into the fabric.
    Fray Block comes in a tube with a nozzle. Use a very small pin to poke the hole opening so too much is not coming out of the tube at once. I get it a Hancock Fabrics using coupons.

Yakima, WA
    Some things you just can't find a cheaper way to go. Fray Block is flexible when it dries as well, a much better alternative. I use fingernail polish on the thread when I sew on a button, makes the thread last longer and doesn't have to be flexible. Other than that, I stick with the Fray Block as well.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Western Wisconsin
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for Fray Block. Worth the money.

However, I'm curious about what you need to use it for in quilting? I used it for thread ends when serging clothing; have never needed it for quilts.