Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fray Check >

Fray Check

Fray Check

Old 01-28-2013, 03:30 AM

Default Fray Check

Can someone tell me how to use this? The different options.

Can I use it after I have already appliqued something and discover the fabric is fraying even after the applique stitch is used on it.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

fray check is often used by needle pointer's and cross stitchers to keep the edges of their (canvas) from fraying- it drys hard- leaves a stiff edge- if you plan to use it with an applique i would definitly wait until after stitching-since it would be very difficult to stitch through. just remember you would then have a hard edge around your applique. what kind of applique are you doing? raw edge applique (generally) is done with a fusable on the back- which (help) keep the fraying from happening- turn under applique cutting a wider turn under edge will help keep fraying from happening. what (applique stitch) are you using? a blanket stitch? a small zigzag? a satin stitch? you may want to increase the width of the stitch & lessen the length- so the stitch takes a larger bite of the applique- but the stitch is closer together. if using fray check- definitly after the stitching is done...pictures would help with advice on how to (overcome) the problem in the future.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 AM

ckcowl, you wrote such a helpful response. I did not write the original post, but I still picked pointer from your response. That's what I like about this board. Everyone is so generous, taking time to help others.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Fray Block does the same thing, except it is much softer.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM

I use Fray Check to seal ending points when serging. I only use a drop so it isn't too clumpy.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

yes, be sure to use the "softer" one on the top of your work. fray check is good for the back when necessary. try a bit and see what we mean.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Try it on a scrap first. I remember Fray Check slightly discoloring the fabric when I was doing apparel sewing, but I haven't used it in a long time.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Thank you for your very informative reply. Unfortunlately I am doing applique with machine embroidery designs.

I may have to look into the Fray Block and see if that would better help me.

I had no idea the fabric edges would fray as much as they are I am using a good quality fabric. But thank you for the tips.

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
fray check is often used by needle pointer's and cross stitchers to keep the edges of their (canvas) from fraying- it drys hard- leaves a stiff edge- if you plan to use it with an applique i would definitly wait until after stitching-since it would be very difficult to stitch through. just remember you would then have a hard edge around your applique. what kind of applique are you doing? raw edge applique (generally) is done with a fusable on the back- which (help) keep the fraying from happening- turn under applique cutting a wider turn under edge will help keep fraying from happening. what (applique stitch) are you using? a blanket stitch? a small zigzag? a satin stitch? you may want to increase the width of the stitch & lessen the length- so the stitch takes a larger bite of the applique- but the stitch is closer together. if using fray check- definitly after the stitching is done...pictures would help with advice on how to (overcome) the problem in the future.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM

I use clear nail polish, but all of the three will show like a wet spot on the repair. The good news is on a full quilt no one would ever notice, and you won't be able to find it either.