Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free arm quilting question >

free arm quilting question

free arm quilting question

Old 02-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Default free arm quilting question

I would like to learn how to free arm quilt. I usually use a polyester fill batting for lap quilts, which are usually tied together. Would the wool batting be better when using free arm quilting techniques?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Do you mean free motion quilting? I have never used wool batting. I usually use cotton or a cotton/poly blend. Can't remember the brand right now. The packages will tell you how close together you need to quilt.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

There is no real reason why you could not use poly batting for FMQ (free motion quilting), but you might want to start off with a thinner flat batting, like warm and natural cotton. The quilt sandwich will move a bit easier for you and you won't have to deal with the excess bulk in the portion of the project not under the needle. After you get some experience, move on to the fluffier batt.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

Do you mean free motion quilting??? I never use polyester batting but prefer to use cotton battings. They might be easier for you to do when you begin to practice FMQ. You need to find a speed that is comfortable for you that is NOT too fast. After you prep your machine for FMQ, then get the same speed you know and match the same movement that the sewing machine had done. I would take scraps and make small quilts to practice on. Then make them into charity quilts to give to the ASPCA or your local animal shelter. They always need supplies and it will give you time to practice. Never hurts if you can find a LQS to take a class in machine quilting. I took a class from Harriet Hargrave. I had already purchased her book Heirloom Machine Quilting which I refer to when I have a question. Taking her class made all the difference with my quilting ability. Good Luck !!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

Cotton and wool batting are probably easier to free-motion quilt simply because they cling to the fabrics better. Polyester batting is more slippery. It is also easier to free-motion quilt with a low loft or medium-low loft batting; a high loft batting is more difficult to manage.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 AM

thanks for the advice!