Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Free motion borders before or after

Mesa, Az
    Thank you all so much for the encouraging words....I have wanted to throw in the towel on quilting lately.....I know I am expecting perfection when I have only made a few quilts and they were mostly rag...I am still using flannel....I will be glad when I have used most of it up and then will try to start making regular quilts.....It is my sanity right now.....Blessings

Northern Michigan
    Blog Entries
    quilting amount is dependant on the batting being used- some batts need to be quilted every 2" some allow up to 10" between quilting lines- you need to read your package & quilt the recommended amount.
    you quilt your borders before binding- binding is the final step after all quilting is completed & the quilt is squared up...the quilting process distorts the quilt a little & there should be excess backing/batting to be trimmed after the quilting is completed- after that a label & the binding is attached...and Voila---it is done!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

You have a great start to FMQ ! I sew borders on my quilt, sandwich it, then machine quilt the quilt. I leave the quilting on the borders until last. After quilting the borders, I then square it up and sew the binding on.

I do a large stipple on the main part of the quilt,stitch in the ditch along the border, then a slightly smaller stipple on the border. I find that quilting the border takes up any waviness that may have accurred when attaching the border, and makes attaching the binding easier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2