Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion circles >

Free motion circles

Free motion circles

Old 01-22-2015, 07:00 PM

Default Free motion circles

My husband purchased a Babylock Crown Jewel this fall. I have already quilted several quilts using designs in the machine and now am ready to try free motion. Doing ok so far on practice piece. But I am having much trouble making circles. My motion is very choppy. Is there a way to slow down the speed of the machine (speed control on machine is not affecting free motion).
Old 01-22-2015, 07:15 PM

Try using the foot pedal to control the speed instead of the automatic speed control. Once you get used to the motion at slower speeds, you can ramp up the speed. When going at a slower speed, remember to slow your hand speed down as well to match the machine speed.

Some people will tell you to practice at higher speeds. I say do whatever works best for you.

good luck!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

I agree with with DHMom ... it's not about speed!
There seems to be an image out there that FMQing is about racing, but it is not.
How could one keep control at a high speed?
Many FMQ at a very s-l-o-w speed and get exquisite results.

I don't know the machine you have, but I suspect there is a way to slow down the max speed, even when using the foot pedal and while FMQing.

Your comfort zone re speed, results and not-so-choppy will come with practice-practice-practice!

When you mentioned circles ... I'm not sure if you are talking about "pebbling" (small circles, smaller than a dime)? ... or large ones? Or much larger ones? Whatever style of FMQing, you are doing re circles or other types of FMQing, allow yourself some patience with that practice ... and you'll see improvements along the way.

Good Luck!

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-22-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions but my machine is a long arm. I have done the FM quilting on my regular machine and I enjoy that. But long arm seems to be harder to control.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sshell View Post
Thanks for the suggestions but my machine is a long arm. I have done the FM quilting on my regular machine and I enjoy that. But long arm seems to be harder to control.
So sorry ... as said before, I do not know your machine ... however, most if not all of what I said does apply. I still believe there is a speed control of some sort on a LA. Likewise, the all important practice-practice-practice to find your comfort zone with all the variables.

As you are aware, FMQing with a DSM vs. LA are different skills.
For the DSM the machine/needle stay put and you move your fabric, whereas for the LA, you have to steer/drive the machine around what you are doing. With Practice and Patience ... you'll get there.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:34 AM
Power Poster

Start with paper & pencil- start drawing circles, big ones, little ones, the ones you would like to quilt - this helps get your brain around what you want to do- drop your shoulders ( Relax!) Lighten your grip on your handle bars.
I put on some music I like that has good rhythm and helps me be more relaxed. You certainly should be able to adjust the machine speed, get your owners manual out & see how to do that. Drawing your quilting designs on paper first helps, Relaxing your shoulders and hands makes a Huge difference in the smoothness of your stitching and practice.
Load up a practice quilt ( I use (2) 2-yard pieces of muslin with batting, and a fun colored thread ( so you can see what you are doing) put on some music and start quilting, sometimes Writing helps you stitch smoother, write your name, fun inspiring words, mix in some loop-d-loops, swirls, hearts, what ever comes to mind. Have fun with it! Sometimes those (practice quilts) become favorite quilts. good for picnics, forts, car rides, play quilts - sometimes, not so much....those I cut up for donated ( kennel quilts) or make into pet beds. They are well worth the time, energy and materials regardless of what you do with them later. They teach you to relax, enjoy the process & find your rhythm.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:11 AM

What wonderful suggestion. Thanks so much.
Hopefully happy peaceful quilting awaits me.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:44 AM

Angela Walters suggested not using the stitch regulator when doing peopling type circles because of jerkiness. Perhaps that is what is going on for you.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

I never attempted to do FMQ with circles on my Bernina 1530. I would suggestion looking into to the acrylic templates they make for LAQ. I saw them demo on F&P Love of Quilting on PBS.