Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Free motion designs on fabric

Free motion designs on fabric

Someone was telling me that there is fabric that has free motion quilting designs printed on it that you can stitch on to practice. Has anyone heard of such fabric?

I've seen some on a pellon-like fabric at a LQS near me until they closed down. Sure wish I'd gotten some before they went out of business!
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

Power Poster
    I have seen it but it was a couple of years ago? Someone on QB also had a link to a site that you could order it from but I can't remember where, sorry.

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Yup. The skillbuilders as some have given you links for. I've got two, have used one. At first I was hoping they were like the pre-printed whole cloth designs that will wash out after you've quilted them, but now I don't really care because I use it strictly as practice ... and I've practiced a lot with thread combinations - some of which clearly did not play together well. So it has turned into something pretty ugly

Yes I like it, yes I used the designs, yes they helped for the most part.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

You can also practice going around the designs on a carefully chosen fabric if you want to practice following a line. However, IMHO it is much harder to stay on a line. Instead, most books tell you to practice drawing the pattern that you want to quilt. First you can trace it with your finger, then draw it with a pencil or chalk or whatever, then quilt it. It really does work to get that pattern into your subconscious.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    I used this one when I wanted to learn FMQ. My work looked pretty bad; but I think it really helped me because when I tried FMQ on the quilt I was making, my FMQ actually looked pretty good.