Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Question >

Free Motion Question

Free Motion Question

Old 01-06-2010, 09:05 AM

When doing a full size quilt on a conventional sewing machine is it easier to quilt by moving fabric backwards or starting at the top and going down. Which way is it easier to see where you are going? Do you limit yourself to a 6" path or 12" or just play it by ear.
Also when echo quilting is there any foot in particular that would help to keep a quarter inch away from a design. I use a horseshoe shaped hopping foot but my stitches are herky-jerky. Would a big foot help with that. If so, I'll buy one pronto.
This is the greatest board for learning things -- I spend so much time learning that I run out of doing time. I just discovered I can go into the pictures log and investigate what all I have missed in the past. Thanks to all..........
Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/
this lady does small areas.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

It is totally personal preference, I would do some practicing before hand, take a couple of practice sandwiches different sizes and see what works the best for you, When using the small machine I prefer using the side of my foot as a guide to how far I am away I am, there is usually different styles of the same foot if you don't like the one that you are using, watch more where you are going to where you have been, and relax, take some deep breaths and relax, the more you relax the smoother you will be, and practice, practice lots,
Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
It is totally personal preference, I would do some practicing before hand, take a couple of practice sandwiches different sizes and see what works the best for you, When using the small machine I prefer using the side of my foot as a guide to how far I am away I am, there is usually different styles of the same foot if you don't like the one that you are using, watch more where you are going to where you have been, and relax, take some deep breaths and relax, the more you relax the smoother you will be, and practice, practice lots,
Cutebuns has some great advice here!

As for the herky jerky - well, that will smooth out after you practice. Trust me, the key is practice, practice, practice, practice, and more practice. :roll:

I tend to find I work better from right to left and from top to bottom. I've seen tutorials from "experts" who do it backwards but everyone seems to have their own preference for which direction to FMQ in. Find which way feels most comfortable for you and that will be the direction you will want to stick with. However, don't get locked into that; meaning you don't want to get stuck if you can't FMQ in that particular direction. It helps to occasionally practice going in different directions, just so you can when you need to. Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

i tend to work in small areas.

if i'm doing a continuous line design i just go with the flow of the pattern.

if i'm doing individual motifs i'll start in the center of the quilt and work my way around and out.

i don't think the stitch issue is related to your foot - that horseshoe design is highly regarded by many professional quilters.

i think the stitch problem is just a rhythm thing kinda like patting your head and rubbing your stomach. it just takes some practice to find your groove.

it might help to put on some music that you like while practicing to help with the rhythm.

for echo quilting i like the Big Foot - its great for following a tight echo.

here's a link

http://www.littlefoot.net/index.php?...products_id=43
Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i think the stitch problem is just a rhythm thing kinda like patting your head and rubbing your stomach. it just takes some practice to find your groove.

it might help to put on some music that you like while practicing to help with the rhythm.
Just be careful what type of music you listen too! If it's got a great beat and speeds up in sections, you'll find your quilting will speed up too. Not always what you want! :lol:
Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Originally Posted by kluedesigns

Just be careful what type of music you listen too! If it's got a great beat and speeds up in sections, you'll find your quilting will speed up too. Not always what you want! :lol:
LMAO

you need some romantic music - that typically has an even tempo :oops:
Old 01-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aSbKvm_mKA

So how is this to quilt to?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cutebuns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aSbKvm_mKA

So how is this to quilt to?
that was great. i was really surprised how it spread thru the community to go and learn the dance moves so we can do this for the oprah show.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Power Poster

My kids are so surprised when I listen to what they classify as their music, I love a lot of what they listen to, and it is them that tells me to turn it down as they think that it is too loud!