Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting and Arthritis >

Free Motion Quilting and Arthritis

Free Motion Quilting and Arthritis

Old 01-16-2011, 08:00 PM

I'm only 28 but I was thrown into surgical menopause 18 months ago and last winter the doctor told me that my pain and stiffness in my hands was arthritis. Most days it's fine with the help of Tylenol Arthritis on the bad days but this year it just seems harder to FMQ, or quilt in any way, for that matter. I have the gloves to help with arthritis and the padded quilting gloves to go over the arthritis gloves but it doesn't ease the pain and stiffness. I even have those quilting discs that are advertised as being easier to use with arthritis. Not for me, apparently. I know I can't be the only one trying to quilt with this obstacle. Is there any wise advice on how to face this cloud and find the silver lining?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 PM

vitamin E+FISH OIL-----check what is out there--arthritis assoc has lots of advice also some rub ins available
Old 01-16-2011, 08:05 PM

See if you can take a med called Arthrotec....not sure if it ends with a c or a k. It might not mix with other meds you take and it might not work for you. It does require a Dr.'s prescription. It did wonders for my knees. They don't bother me at all now......Not saying that this is a cure just that it could help enough that you could do more without pain. Look into it.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by jemma
vitamin E+FISH OIL-----check what is out there--arthritis assoc has lots of advice also some rub ins available
Thanks but I already take both of those. Thanks to early menopause the doctor has me taking vitamins e, c, d, fish oil, caltrate (calcium + vitamin d), a woman's one a day multivitamin, something for the menopause induced heartburn and a multiple hormone therapy to combat my original diagnosis and to replace estrogen. :roll: I feel like a walking pharmacy. The only rub in meds I've heard of is the over the counter arthritis cream which didn't work and bengay that didn't work either. I was thinking of trying ICYHOT. Do you know if it works at all?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:10 PM

Message from my daughter: My name is Susie. I'm 23 years old. I had a stroke when I was 10. It left me partially paralyzed on my right side. My right hand doesn't work - it's very hard to quilt, but it brings me happiness - just sewing. When it hurts, I put it up for awhile, but never give up. Praying helps.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 PM

I am sorry you have to go through this so young. I am 38 there are days where I will be crying at the sewing machine because of pain the only thing I can say is keep moving. the days I am still I suffer more. I don't have arthritis something a little different. I will keep you in prayer thank you for courage and strength it does encourage others!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:24 PM

I have little hands and arthritis and also have found that my hands will hurt when FMQ, though probably not as much as yours. I found one of the reasons my hands were hurting was cause I was so tensed up. I worked at keeping my shoulders down out of my ears and every 15 minutes or less I will stop and stretch my hands and roll my shoulders.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:24 PM

I have physical therapy exercises I do, mostly range of motion and massage, but they do help with the stiffness. Sometimes I just can't and have to find some other related activity to do. That is when I clean and organize.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 PM

please be very careful with the tylenol.talk to your dr about it. it can cause very serious liver problems. i find that soaking my hands in hot water helps ease the pain. good luck. give the fish oil a try, can't hurt. keep us informed about how things are going.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Have you tried lavender oil? I'm told it can be helpful for some people when rubbed on your hands.