Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting and a Darning Foot >

Free Motion Quilting and a Darning Foot

Free Motion Quilting and a Darning Foot

Old 01-02-2011, 03:21 PM

I tried using the darning foot that came with my Pfaff, a hint from my favorite sewing shop clerk, and I'm hooked. It is going to take some practice, but it works like a dream. Will try it on a small project first, potholder for my brother, but I am so excited about this new opportunity.

How did I find out about this, well because my son, who is unmarried, brings sewing projects to mom. I used the foot to darn his blue jeans and was amazed how well it worked on that. Son asks, every few months, if he should buy a sewing machine. I tell him no, not while I'm still around and enjoy doing little things like that for him. Really do hope he finds a nice woman and gives us some grandchildren to spoil; however, that is a subject that I do not discuss with him. Well I certainly rambled on long enough.

Try your darning foot for free motion quilting, it works!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing this info.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM

I think its great that your son wants to sew...sounds like a Christmas gift to me...and you could spend hours with him teaching him how to sew. Hey...if he joins a quilting club he could met some nice women...hmmm bonus...
Originally Posted by BettyGee
I tried using the darning foot that came with my Pfaff, a hint from my favorite sewing shop clerk, and I'm hooked. It is going to take some practice, but it works like a dream. Will try it on a small project first, potholder for my brother, but I am so excited about this new opportunity.

How did I find out about this, well because my son, who is unmarried, brings sewing projects to mom. I used the foot to darn his blue jeans and was amazed how well it worked on that. Son asks, every few months, if he should buy a sewing machine. I tell him no, not while I'm still around and enjoy doing little things like that for him. Really do hope he finds a nice woman and gives us some grandchildren to spoil; however, that is a subject that I do not discuss with him. Well I certainly rambled on long enough.

Try your darning foot for free motion quilting, it works!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:45 PM

well it just depends on how old the women are in the group. hopefully he could find one with women unmarried and around his age. that is a wink and a nudge from mommy. hehe most guys don't know what they are missing until they get married and have kids.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 PM

I use that with my Pfaff as well as the extra quilting foot-which is bigger and has a better view of where you are fmo. I tried my first baby quilt last month with it--what fun! Keep at it!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:28 PM

That is the foot I always use for FMQ. Is there another one??
Old 01-03-2011, 08:13 PM

So glad you gave it a try. Now we can learn together. My last effort made me realize that I need a lot more practice. Think I will make a table runner and practice on it before I try another quilt.