Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion quilting question >

Free motion quilting question

Free motion quilting question

Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 AM

I am very new to this?? Is there a certain thread that is better to use? Some of the cotton threads have broken?? And what size and kind of needle???
Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 AM

Sorry but I missed the fact that your question was about FMQ...my comment on threads is still appropriate, however. Regarding a needle - several quilters I know and have also read about use nothing but topstitch needles for their piecing and quilting - they have larger eyes and scarfs and accommodate many different kinds of threads..usually a 12 or maybe a sizw 14 would work.

There are many good threads on the market. I'd suggest purchasing the best you can...my experience is that Coats and Clark is generally of lesser quality and breaks more easily, tho many on the board really like it. Look for long staple threads, which create less fuzz and break less, Egyptian cotton is also good, but these are also the more expensive types, so you need to try out several. It also appears that some machines work better with some threads..tho I've never experienced that myself.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 AM

I am not an expert and still in the process of learning FMQ myself, but I believe whatever thread you normally use for quilting should work for FMQ, I've using cotton and don't have a problem with thread breaking, I also use size 80/12 needle. I hope this helps.

If your thread keeps breaking, maybe the top tension is off? Do you have the machine feed dogs lowered?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 AM

Another question? I have read where you use the same color thread in bobbin and on top? How do you decide what color to use? Said your top has a lot of white but you are using a pink back?? Is there any rule of thumb as to picking out the color to use?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I have used different threads on top and in the bobbin but I prefer to use the same color if possible. Just decide which side you want the quilting to show on and use that color.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 AM

Make a small sandwich of the materials used including the batting about 12"X12". Then try to do some of the quilting you would like to do on the big quilt. Use where ever color you want. See if you can get your tension just right so the colors don't show on the opposite side of the sandwich. When you are happy with what is going on, quilt your big quilt. K
Old 10-04-2010, 07:29 AM

I like to use varigated colored thread, espically in the bobbin. It adds a diferent dimension as well as can help hide some quiting "irregularites".
Old 10-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

I use a bigger needle for quilting than piecing, and a topstich may help.

The thread colors are a personal preference, how much you want the quilting to stand out or blend in. Varigateds are fun, I use them a lot.

If you use one color on front and another for the back, your tension has to be adjusted well, to keep the threads where they belong :wink:
Old 10-04-2010, 12:43 PM

signature thread puts out a long staple thread either 40 weight or 20 weight i like 40 weight
Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 AM

Thanks everyone..I watched some of Leah Day videos and they helped a lot!