Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting Questions >

Free Motion Quilting Questions

Free Motion Quilting Questions

Old 06-14-2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
Thank you for the inspiration to give it a try. I do have a dial to put it in 'darning' mode that seems to reduce the pressure down to nothing.
To be honest, I'm so cheap, ordering a new darning foot was not something I wanted to do, especially because it seemed to last only 5 months
5 months for a darning foot doesn't sound right! They should last pretty much forever.

But yes- be fearless! It is only fabric and thread. When experimenting, don't do it on a king size heirloom quilt, but there is no reason not to give almost anything a try.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by matraina View Post
What is the quadrant method?
Divide your quilt into 4 by a vertical and horizontal (for me, imaginary- I don't mark) line in the middle. Do one section at a time, so that you are more organized in your approach. It means you won't miss any part of the quilt, and there is never too much bulk in the machine.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:39 AM

I thought about getting my husband to build me a little table that the machine can sit down in. I have one of the plastic tables wish I could figure out how to cut that out and sit the machine down in it rather than buying wood to make one. Any ideas? If I have him cut the opening with a saw how can I attach supports to hold the machine in place since plastic doesn't hold screws very well. Open to suggestions.

Thank you everyone for all of the tips, guidance and advise.

Diane
Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 AM

turner: I was thinking the same thing, when I read your post. If you were to cut an opening in a plastic table you already have, I was thinking to build a narrow table the height you would want your sewing machine to sit at. Then (the wheels kept turning) I would use the extra few inches of space for quilting items, maybe rulers etc. Also, if you make a top to fit the piece you cut out and attach legs, so it would rest on the lower narrow table, your table would be flat again. Just and idea for a multi use table. gmacindy
Old 06-14-2012, 11:29 AM

I asked a similiar question and got a lot of good tips http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...e-t188369.html

Originally Posted by turner0106 View Post
I thought about getting my husband to build me a little table that the machine can sit down in. I have one of the plastic tables wish I could figure out how to cut that out and sit the machine down in it rather than buying wood to make one. Any ideas? If I have him cut the opening with a saw how can I attach supports to hold the machine in place since plastic doesn't hold screws very well. Open to suggestions.

Thank you everyone for all of the tips, guidance and advise.

Diane
Old 06-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Go to "Quilt In A Day" select free patterns and at the bottom of the page there is a file on how to make a sewing table from a farm table. Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:52 PM

That is a very good class. I also recommend a walking foot. Great for stright lines and putting on boraders. No pleats.I also highly recommend Leah Day. What info I give at my classes is to have a bobbin geni, slider, connecting threads pro essential thread, a walking foot, a darning foot, gloves or scrapes of rubber rug backing, a dry board or paper and practice practice pratice drawing and making samples of the designs you want to make. To this day I always draw out my design before sewing just to get my brain and hands in sink. Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by turner0106 View Post
I'm wanting to try free motion quilting. I signed up for the online course with craftsy.com "Beyond Basic Machine Quilting". I have reviewed parts of this. However, my first question is what tools are a must have for FMQ. Which sewing foot do you use and do you like it? What tips or advise can you offer?

Thanks Everyone
Diane
I just took a class at my local quilt shop and loved it so much. She even showed extra things to do. I bought a pair of gloves with the finger tips rubber there and only cost me $8 which I thought was great. I use a free motion foot that I bought at Jo ann fabrics for my machine. Funny, they even offer u a glass of wine to relax, relax is the key and just jump into it......enjoy, I did doing the class and so happy I spent $20 for it.....
Old 06-15-2012, 03:11 PM

I would love have to a glider! However I have found a good coat of car wax on the flat surface of my sewing surface ONLY makes my Juki and Janome pretty slick. I use either a cheap pair of garden gloves with the rubber palms or plain old disposable gloves. I love Leah Day! But I also love the craftsy course. It is well taught by Ann Peterson. I am taking the same one you are and my free motion has vastly improved.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:32 PM

I use garden gloves with the "plasticky" feeling on the fingers and palms. Actually bought 6 pairs of gloves from Costco for $7-$8, which I thought was a great value. I started FMQ'ing without gloves but found my fingers were terribly sore afterwards because I was gripping and pulling on the quilt top so hard. So now I won't quilt without gloves on. They are worth every penny.
Also saw a tip which I have yet to try (soon thought!). On my machine, I can remove the foot pedal and has an auto run function. The thought is that you have one less thing to do if your speed is automatically controlled. I will try anything once!