Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion quilting on a Quilter's Choice >

Free motion quilting on a Quilter's Choice

Free motion quilting on a Quilter's Choice

Old 04-06-2011, 03:40 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I use the walking foot for straight lines. I have tried the darning foot for FMQ but my results are not great. I am going to try the idea of unplugging the foot pedal. It was also suggested to me to turn the machine sideways when I quilt. I may try that too. The other thing that irritates me is the switch to drop and lift the feed dogs is not working. I don't want to go through the aggravation of getting it fixed!! I guess I will have to bit the bullet and drop the machine off to be serviced and fixed.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bevsie
Hi,

I have Babylock machines also and here's a hint for you when FMQ.

I unplug my foot pedal and set my speed control a bit more than half speed (about 3/4) and use the green on and off button when I quilt. That way I am not trying to keep the speed of my hands and my foot in sync....the machine goes at a consistent speed and I can control my hands better. I was always trying to move my quilt too fast I found out.

You should be able to quilt great on a Quilter's Choice...but you have to practice, practice, practice.

Good luck...that tip works good for me.

Bev
I have a quilters choice machine, it is five years and must be missing where the green button is? Maybe you have a newer machine, thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
I don't have a stitch regulator. Is it honestly possible to do free motion quilting on a regular sewing machine and have it come out nice? Does anyone have samples of ones that they have done for me to see? I know the manufacturer says it is made to do FMQ but all I have been able to do is straight line with the walking foot. Perhaps I lack the patience? I actually select patterns based on the knowledge that they will look good with straight line quilting only! Thx
A woman at our LQS produces masterpieces on her domestic machine....beautiful feathers and so many amazing intricate designs. She uses the LA for Linus and charity quilts. She obtained this by doing what the others are saying.....practice, practice, practice :D
Old 04-06-2011, 07:01 PM

The only thing I can add is...if you discover you have loops on the underneath it's because you are moving your quilt either slower or faster than your sewing speed. You need to be moving your quilt at the same pace as your machine speed to get even stitches on both sides. It's really not as hard as it sounds, and, like everyone says, practice practice.

Also, this gal has created a neat sit down free motion quilting setup for use with a domestic machine. It's really cheap to put together and looks like it would make FMQ easier. There's a part 1 and a part 2 to this process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14go...feature=fvwrel
Old 04-06-2011, 07:07 PM

i found it easier to practice on smaller pieces,, i used some thin fabric and made mini sandwiches... for nothing but to practice. My pieces r @ 15 x 15.
I too found setting the speed a bit faster and unplugging the foot very helpful.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM

I look for solid colored prequilted fabric in the remnant bins and use that to practice my FMQ.