Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FREE-MOTION QUILTING

I noticed they were using the darning foot on the machine I bought. Are there any techniques that you could suggest to make the free motion quilting look more interesting? I've seen some amazing work done this way but then too I've seen some pretty awful results as well.

Blog Entries
    I seen a darning foot on a show a while back that has a place to guide thread, yarn, cording, etc... through so you can quilt and embelish at the same time.

Hi, Steve
    To get interesting designs when free-motion quilting, you have to practice, practice, practice. I like to follow the design in my fabric at times. Sometimes I will quilt the name of the person the quilt is for. Or other stuff, depending on who it is for, and the theme of the quilt.
    Debra

You can also do it with no foot and the gloves.

Banned
    :? I tried it without a foot when i first started and the fabric just poped poped up with the needle every time, the darning foot is the quilting foot and I do LOVE My Machine Quilting it's sooo Fun!!!!Bbj

lin
    I had the same experience as you did Beeflower, when I tried to m-quilt on my Singer 301 without a foot. The book said you could do it that way so I tried. I was able to get a darning foot for it and now it quilts beautifully for such an old machine. I wouldn't want to do anything large on it as the throat area is not all that big, but it makes nice stitches so on a small project it would be fun to use it. :)

lin,

I also have a Singer 301. I call it my featherweights bigger sister!! LOL They are an amazing machine and you can't find a better stitch anywhere other than the featherweight. JMO. Where were you able to find a darning foot for yours? I would love to be able to free motion with mine. Debbie

lin
    luvmy~look for a pm from me. :)

I use my BSR with my Bernina and love it !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2