Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting >

free motion quilting

free motion quilting

Old 02-19-2016, 09:42 PM

Default free motion quilting

I am working up courage to free motion quilt a small quilt but I'm not sure what or how to do it. Is there a tutorial that I watch to see how to do it. I only have a regular sewing machine, no long arm. any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:47 PM

I just took a class and learned soooo much. From free motion to using rulers. Check out craftsy but if you can take a class it is totally worth it
Old 02-19-2016, 09:50 PM

Search fmq on YouTube and also Leah day on YouTube and her blog. Lots of free help there. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2016, 10:57 PM

Fmq is have a go. Trial and error. I do think watching videos and going to a class are the best way. Classes are awesome as you begin the day terrified and end laughing.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:32 AM

Youtube is helpful...and just practice....i used quite a few test "sandwiches" until i got the look i wanted for my quilt...most of all enjoy!
Old 02-20-2016, 02:08 AM
Power Poster

Put together practice pieces and practice before you do your quilt. There are lots of tutorials, videos to watch. Practice on small pieces first. Placemats are a good size. You need a ( hopping foot) sometimes called a darning foot, sometimes it's good to just draw some easy, flowing lines on a practice piece and practice following the lines. As you become comfortable manipulating the fabric you can do more designs. Start drawing on paper to ( set) the design in your brain. Don't expect perfection from the start, it takes practice.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Yes, watch some Leah Day videos for confidence and then just practice. You get better the more you do.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:56 AM

Start simple..... I started with stipling because that really doesn't have a very large chance for error. I agree practicing by drawing your design on paper can help.

One thing is don't try to move too fast. And realize that it just takes practice. No one was perfect their first few times (or even more)!
Old 02-20-2016, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

When I first started FMQ, I picked a design I already could draw freehand (stars and loops) Designs that had a stopping point allowed me to rest and reposition my hands. If you have needle down function on your machine it is very helpful. Needle down allows you to keep the sandwich in position while you rest. Machinger gloves or similar really help to move the sandwich. If you can see your machine speed to medium it helps also. You will need a darning or FMQ foot. I like to lower my feed dogs but some like them up.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

It does take some practice to FMQ. Try making a small sample marking curling lines. You want to have a speed that you can feel and know at that speed the machine would normally move the fabric. You need to train your eye to look forward to where the next couple of stitches will be. I am sure there are plenty of U-tube videos to watch.