Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: free motion quilting

hello everyone........ so sorry that I havent been around but I've had some family issues.

On to my question........ I'm trying to complete a quilt and I'm down the free motion part and I keep getting these "eyelash" looking things on the back of my quilt. I've adjusted the tention up and down... and I'm kind of at a loss right now. I've been working on it for about 4 hours (just the tension) not the quilt.

I have a Designer 1 machine.....

Thank you :)

Blog Entries
    It may be how fast you are running your machine vs how fast you are moving your quilt around :wink:

Blog Entries
    Kimmy, are you pulling your bobbin thread to the top of the quilt before you start stitching?

Blog Entries
    Try re threading your machine. Sometimes the upper looper comes out and it is not easy to see. Just pull the thread out completely and thread the machine again.

Banned
    do you have some sort of lint or anything stuck somewhere in your threading route. also check the bobbin. I am still thinking it has to do with tension but as to where I am guessing. If you have eyelashes then it is the upper tension tha tis way off.

ok thank you all very much........ I'm going to try all these things in a little while.......right now I'm so stinking frustrated with this quilt all I've done is cry..... :( But I will get it together in a few minutes and tey these things you all suggested :)

Thanks again :)

Suz
    If your bobbin thread pulls out without any resistance, then it is the upper tension. When I get loops on the back, I find my upper thread is feeding too fast. I run my upper thread thru my bobbin winding hook. Do you have one on top of the machine?

Also: your thread. Thread that is wound on the spool like the old fashioned thread should stand on an upright spindle. If it is wound by crossing the threads around the spool, it should be layed on its side. Could this be the problem? Suz

Blog Entries
    is your foot down???? it must be.

Are you using monofilament thread or regular cotton/poly?

I had to same problem not to long ago. I had threaded my machine wrong. Rethreaded and all was well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast