Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion styles >

Free motion styles

Free motion styles

Old 04-03-2016, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

I think it is easier to draw a design from a template, that way you have a path to follow and one less thing to worry about (where do I go next?). It is like driving a car. You know the difference in your car when you drive 20 compared to 70 mph. Find a speed that you can reach again and watch how the machine moves the fabric. That is the speed you want to find again and then move the fabric at the same rate. Don't feel you need to go fast until you have a bit more confidence. I do my FMQ at what I would call slightly under medium speed. Slow and steady is best trying to get consistent length in your stitches. Try to relax and have fun. You didn't learn to drive on the first day. You kept practicing whenever your parents would let you.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:08 AM

When you stop/pause ALWAYS have the needle down and never take your hands off the fabric until the needle is down.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:00 AM

Lots of good advice here! What was/is key for me is to look where you want to go, do not watch the needle! Your hands will follow where you are looking, just as you look down the road when you drive and not at the hood of the car. Practicing your design ahead of time with pencil and paper works for some of us and so practice looking ahead when you do that too. I found my drawing has improved as well by doing this, which comes in handy if you are drawing motifs on your quilt before quilting. With every motif or design you learn, the next one will become easier I've found. But there is really no substitute for time on your machine. Enjoy the process and don't give up, because it is sooooo much fun!!!
Old 04-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Machine quilting is not that important to be intimidated by. It's fun. It doesn't have to be perfect and probably never will be for me. I'm okay with that. I show it off to anyone and never point out my mistakes. I'm sure they can be seen without my help. I'm happy doing it and that's all the matters to me.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:05 AM

I love FMQ! I have been studying the designs of any quilts I find on Facebook or elsewhere and I subscribed to Leah Day's newsletter. She also had a page called Leah Day Designs and she had over 365 designs on there, maybe more! I have started with stencils or just copy a design I like on copy paper & pin it to my quilt, then stitch over it as if I were PPing. I was taught to fake it 'til you make it & now I'm getting more confident so I can try new things. I get bored with the stippling and meandering, so am always looking for something with a little more wow factor! :-) The whole idea of practice is to get your muscle memory working. You'll do fine!
Old 04-03-2016, 11:29 AM

Thank you. I've thought about drawing the design on my quilt top but with dark and light fabrics how does a light or a dark pencil show up on both fabric shades?
Old 04-03-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I just finished a 3-day workshop with Ricky Tims, and something he said really struck a chord with me. He said we are not born knowing how to quilt, the same as we are not born knowing how to write. Someone had to put a pencil in our hands and teach us how to write the letter A. Then we had to practice writing the letter A over and over. Then we were taught to write the letter B, and practice it over and over, and so on.

Keep this in mind when you start quilting. I think too many of us start quilting and expect it to look good right off the bat. Circles can be rather difficult, it takes practice to get them round and even - if you WANT round and even. Sometimes you discover you prefer wonky and oval! But just get started quilting and practicing. If you don't like them, keep at it, you'll get better. Don't give up, don't get discouraged, laugh, have fun, drink a glass of wine and relax as you quilt.

Or "quilt by check"! Lol!

Great advice!
sandy
Old 04-03-2016, 12:02 PM

It takes time for the brain/hand coordination to be learned. It really isn't easy for me, but I keep trying. I bought some large check size gingham fabric to make a quilt sandwich to practice on. I practic straight lines. I try doing circles in the squares to practice making the circles the same size. I use the straight lines to practice returning to the same point like in flourishes. I can't say that I'm learning very fast, and it's taking me a long time to learn this skill.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

I have won several viewer's choice awards with wonky quilting but my stitches are balanced and no pokies front or back. Having balanced stitches is more important then having straight lines.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by kellyer21 View Post
Thank you. I've thought about drawing the design on my quilt top but with dark and light fabrics how does a light or a dark pencil show up on both fabric shades?
try using one of the blue line ones that disappear with a spray of water(although I recommend you dunk the whole quilt once completely finished and block--no need to use detergent though). The air disappearing purple pen works about the same way but disappears with air--which may not be helpful if too much time between marking and quilting. I also like the F & P ceramic chalk pen, and will use loose chalk made for marking with a stencil and a foam paint brush (poncing gets it all over and I sneeze--which isn't good when you are quilting!)--but it will brush off easily so you can mark the whole thing beforehand.

I haven't used them but bought some Ultra Washable Crayola markers as others have said they are great.