Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion styles >

Free motion styles

Free motion styles

Old 04-03-2016, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by kellyer21 View Post
Thank you. I've thought about drawing the design on my quilt top but with dark and light fabrics how does a light or a dark pencil show up on both fabric shades?
I just switch colors. The markers do get a bit dry over time, so I switched a lot. I also originally thought I'd do an angular stippled on the triangle parts, but decided to change to a cross hatch so I just grabbed a different color & remarked the design.

When the fabric is very dark, I use a white Crayola Ultra Clean crayon or a white water soluble pencil. I would not recommend the colored pencils or colored chalks. A lot of people (including me) aren't always able to completely remove them. Not a problem if you stitch exactly on the line, but not so much fun if you don't. I had white Ultra Clean crayon on the boots for my applique & it's already come out. Be sure to keep a pencil/crayon sharpener near you when you're marking so you can keep a nice tip.

I give my quilt top a nice pressing before I start & then make sure it has time to cool completely before I begin marking. Then I gently tape it to the floor (or a large table) and get to work.

Note: the water spots are from when I showed my very nervous 4yo niece how the marker comes out with plain water (I dripped! oops!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546925[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0302.jpg  
Old 04-04-2016, 02:45 AM

Doodling on a sketch book is helpful then practice, practice, practice... if there is a lapse of time when you don't have a quilt to work on, make up a few potholders to FMQ... keep your brain active. You'll discover your own groove but more importantly, enjoy the ride.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:33 AM

You said it right Peckish. I love FMQ but it didn't come right away, it's taken practice and every project improves. I also realize each of us has different things we are better at and if FMQ just doesn' "click" don't beat yourself up - you probably have something else that you excel in.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:59 AM

I'm with you about learning FMQ. I have been dabbling for quite awhile and find it challenging yet fun. One thing that made me feel good is to realize with a little practice, I can actually see improvement in my attempts. Definitely not there yet, but keep plugging along.

I have loved the Craftsy FMQ classes. They do make it look easy but they also have good tips. My favorites are Leah Day, Angela Walters, Christina Carmeli, Lori Kennedy. I also liked Cindy Needham's class. Each of the classes have FMQ designs that I print off, insert into a plastic paper protector and use a dry erase marker to go over the lines. It helps with the doodling. I also have the notebook to doodle on my own. Just some of the ways I'm trying to learn FMC. Of course, the best way is just to do it :-)

Good luck with your learning curve. Keep at it.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:10 AM

One thing I learned is if you are use to making circles clockwise, then try going in the other direction, counter-clockwise. My circles come out looking more like circles doing this whereas, in a clockwise direction they are more oval shaped.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I been learning to fmq recently. Here are a few beginner tips I learned. I went to the dollar tree store. (everything $1) I bought some garden gloves that were cotton with a rubberizing on the fingers and palms. These really help hold the fabric and make it move when you want to. Also I bought some titanium top stitch needles size 80/12. I was using sandwhiches I made about 14"x 14" these were to small just as I was going good it was used up. So I would make them a lot bigger to practice on. Also I used colored thread on solid fabric so I could see my quilting and check my stitching. Be sure to bring the bobbin thread up to start with. Always stop with the needle down. These are a few things I have learned so far. Good luck and have lots of fun. I think I am ready to fmq a couple fat quarters together and make a tote.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:20 AM

Ron Arpel (?sp) of ManSewing has some great tutorials that have helped me. He just did this one on circles and pebbles.
https://www.missouriquiltco.com/land...campaign=tms62
Old 04-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

It's important to use the same quality fabric and batting when you are practicing that is used in your quilts. Every national machine quilting teacher I have taken classes from all said to use the best quality for practice.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:21 PM

9[QUOTE=Peckish;7512830]I just finished a 3-day workshop with Ricky Tims, and something he said really struck a chord with me. He said we are not born knowing how to quilt, the same as we are not born knowing how to write. Someone had to put a pencil in our hands and teach us how to write the letter A. Then we had to practice writing the letter A over and over. Then we were taught to write the letter B, and practice it over and over, and so on
Keep this in mind when you start quilting. I think too many of us start quilting and expect it to look good right off the bat. P can be rather difficult, it takes practice to get them round and even - if you WANT round and even. Sometimes you discover you prefer wonky and oval! But just get started quilting and practicing. If you don't like them, keep at it, you'll get better. Don't give up, don't get discouraged, laugh, have fun, drink a glass of wine and relax as you quilt.[/QUOT

Thank you Peckish, this is such a good piece of advice.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:38 PM

I started out with an old needle, no thread, and construction paper. I did that over and over till I got fairly consistant, then I used fabric rectangles about the size of placemats, and a high contrast thread....this way I didn't have to worry about getting the bulk of a quilt to behave while I was learning. I used solid fabric so that I could really see what I was doing. After that I did a few baby quilt panels, then a quilt. Be patient with yourself....enjoy it. It's one of those things that takes a long time to learn, but when it clicks, it's worth it!