Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Free motion

Okay I want to start doing FMQ what do you think I need to do first?
    I got a darting attachment for my machine is there anything eles that I need?

Blog Entries
    In addition to the darning foot, you should make up several practice sandwiches and just start practicing. If you make them fat quarter size, they are easy to handle. Once you get comfortable, try on a small quilt or wall hanging. I found that at the beginning, I was more comfortable using thread that blended, so the mistakes weren't so noticeable. I've only recently started using contrasting threads.

Have fun!

Blog Entries
    Idk what you would need (since i don't have free motion machine quite yet) I was watching a tutorial to get an idea of what it takes and the best idea I saw was to make 12 1/2 square sandwiches to practice one. It's supposed to get you used to it and not mess up a beautiful quilt and if you like them when your done they can be made into a quilt as you go quilt. hope that helps :)

Lot's of info here:

http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

Just scroll down - it's recipe day.

I hear you need patience & a sense of humor! I also read on the board that playing country music will give you a sense of rhythm to get your hands/feet in sync.
    I'm taking a FMQ class Sunday so might have more suggestions after then.

Lots of practice. I always play music too. Just works best for me. Relax and breath. I use quilting gloves too. I started with fons and porters quilting gloves but find gardening gloves work too.

Blog Entries
    Practice, doodle on paper, but instead of moving thepencil lay both hands on the paper and move the paper. This method helped me alot, and I also made small sandwhices 9x12 to do my practice. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Practice, doodle on paper, but instead of moving thepencil lay both hands on the paper and move the paper. This method helped me alot, and I also made small sandwhices 9x12 to do my practice. :lol:
    That should of been one hand on paper :oops:

Blog Entries
    I just started too and found that I really needed gloves because I kept licking my fingers so that I could grip the fabric. A lot of people also told me to have a glass of wine before I start, and they were right, it did help (except I made a bloody mary instead). My first attempts were dreadful, but I am slowly getting it.

What a great idea! Although I'm sure it works better moving the paper with just one hand instead of two. I was trying to figure out how to hold the pencil in my teeth. Blessings.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast