Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free shipping >

free shipping

free shipping

Old 09-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Dix

Try Hobbs 20/80 batting. I have used it almost all the time for hand quilting for several years. It is cotton and polyester. Washes well and easy to handle. I just ordered some bamboo batting and can not wait to start with it. You can quilt to 8 inches apart. It feels so nice!
Old 09-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
How does the crinkly look really work- do you leave the fabric unwashed too? Can you use any pattern? How should it be quilted? I just saw an entire quilt shop with this crinkly look and it was so interesting- everything looked old and historical! I thought they were antiques.
Any pattern. You can prewash your fabric or not, as you wish. (I don't prewash my fabric.) It can be hand or machine quilted. For hand quilting, though, there are easier 100% cotton battings to get a needle through -- such as Quilter's Dream or Fairfield (but this batting needs to be prewashed before hand quilting to remove sizing that can make hand needline difficult). The crinkly effect comes with the first washing of the quilt. The batting shrinks maybe 3%, and that's what gives the soft crinkly look (same as antique quilts).
Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 AM

Thanks, Trupeach. I purchased something I really do need -- a 6" ruler to replace the one where the lines wore out, not worth ordering if a shipping charge was added. With a few small items added my total was about $12, free shipping. Appreciate hearing about this.