Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free standing lace xmas ornaments >

Free standing lace xmas ornaments

Free standing lace xmas ornaments

Old 12-14-2011, 07:50 PM

Default Free standing lace xmas ornaments

Hi everyone was wondering if anyone could possibly help me with how to do free standing lace xmas ornaments for the tree......I know everyone is busy but if anyone does know can you point me to the information on how to do this......Ive seen them done where they look like they were done on an embroidery machine...any help with this would be appreciated......Trish
Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Are you wanting to make three dimensional ornaments like christmas balls for a tree? or 2 dimensional ones like snow flakes? or exactly what?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 PM

The only ones I've done like that were crocheted. I haven't done any yet this year, but for many years I've made them as gifts. If you'd like the pattern, I can try to write it down for you. It's all in my head and I'd have to write it down as I make one. They are quite easy to do and can be done fairly quickly. I usually do them out of the crochet thread that is cream with metallic gold or white with metallic silver. I've done them out of just white or cream, but like the look of the metallic better. (purely personal preference)
Old 12-15-2011, 06:28 AM

Go to Embroidery Library and look for a pre-digitized pattern for the embroidery machine. They have some really good designs
Old 12-15-2011, 06:31 AM

oesd has some nice ones too.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 AM

Use a few layers of water soluble stabilizer, stitch, rinse leaving some stiffness, lay flat to dry. These take an amazing amount of thread. Make sure your bobbin thread and top thread match. You will see it from both sides. They are fun to do. Embroidery Library is a good source for designs and tutorials.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 AM

Just put your feed dogs down & use this method that I found on Sulky. It's something we learned in a class many years ago with just out regular machines, but not something that I ever tried again.
http://www.sulky.com/project/rose-bud-pin/ This link is just to give you the method idea, you can get ideas for ornaments other places.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 AM

I'm assuming you mean you want some FSL ideas because you don't have an embroidery machine. If I'm wrong and you do have an embroidery machine, I second the recommendation to get some Embroidery Library or Sue Box designs - I've made dozens and dozens and dozens with designs from both digitizers. If you don't have an embroidery machine, thimblebug6000 is pointing you in the right direction. Use water soluble stabilizer, probably 2 layers. Draw the basic design you are interested in, lower your feed dogs and sew. You'll have to interconnect the stitches so they don't fall apart when you soak off the WSS. Most of the embroidery FSL I've seen has a basic weave laid down with rows and rows of closely spaced stitches, then the details are added with another layer of stitching, then the entire thing is completed with a close satin stitch on the border.

Pam
Old 12-15-2011, 04:09 PM

Sorry, no help, I use my Futura 200 embroidery machine and probably wouldn't know where to start any other way...good luck!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 PM

I bought the ones from emblibrary like others said...I used 1 layer of heavy water soluble stabilizer and you basically load the design on your machine and hit stitch....I used some shiny gutermann rayon thread and they came out really nice. I soaked them in really hot water till all the stabilizer was out and laid them flat to dry.