Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free-Standing Quilt Display at a Craft Show? >

Free-Standing Quilt Display at a Craft Show?

Free-Standing Quilt Display at a Craft Show?

Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 AM

I'm thinking the PVC frame can be made as a box, or maybe A-Frame for stability and 2 sided?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 AM

Go to the local thrift store and buy a folding dryer.....made of wood with dowells that you hang clothes to dry on when its raining outside......probably be able to find one for much less than 20$$$;; Then fold up and hide away in the closet in case you need to dry undies or clothes.

delma
Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by delma_paulk View Post
Go to the local thrift store and buy a folding dryer.....made of wood with dowells that you hang clothes to dry on when its raining outside......probably be able to find one for much less than 20$$$;; Then fold up and hide away in the closet in case you need to dry undies or clothes.

delma
I have a clothes dryer that folds up like that, but the ones I've seen are far too small. I have quilt racks (same size, not collapsable) for my smaller quilts, but I need something that will display a 7.5' square quilt like a curtain, so I'm thinking the PVC pipe rack is for me. I priced it out at the Home Depot - $4.81 for a 10' piece of PVC (1.5"), and I'd need 4 pieces total. Plus about $10.50 for the connectors and end caps brings me to about $32 with tax, which I can live with, though I might try 1.25" diameter to see if it gets significantly cheaper.

I'll let you all know if / when I make it!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:51 AM

This rack system looks so easy to assemble - it's brilliant! Thank you for sharing. In a pinch, I sometimes used an artist's easel....just draped the quilt over it. Invites folks to come and touch.
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
My vote as well. Inexpensive, portable and collapsible.

A quick Google search brought this up first:
http://www.quiltfrog.com/QuiltDisplayRack.html

Looks easy enough - especially since HD or Lowe's will cut the pipes to size for you.
I've been meaning to build one so I can take pictures of my quilts - straight on, without people's fingers in the corner, balancing off off balconies or porches.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:34 AM

I use the hanging strips by 3M, you stick one sticky side to the wall and the other to the quilt then push them together. The front of the sticky side is velcro and they hold really well and come in different strengths. I use them to hold pictures as well as quilts and they do not leave any kind of residue on the wall or your quilt. You can get them at Joann's, Hobby Lobby or Michaels and I am sure any store like Target, KMart or Walmart carry them. If they will hold a large picture they will certainly hold a large quilt and they work really well when I change mine around for the various seasons.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:18 PM

We used a rolling chalkboard to display a quilt on. Maybe the Y has one?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 PM

An old drying rack may work...the one I have folds into thirds and has 3 rungs on it. You have gotten some other good suggestions! Have a great sale!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by x7lillies View Post
Is there any structure design in particular you find to be more sturdy? Can you see the PVC when the quilt is hanging?
My quilting group uses PVC pipe to display all of our quilts at our Fall Fair each year, We pin some of the quilts on or lay them across parts of the pipe- we also must display in a cinder tile room.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
I use the hanging strips by 3M, you stick one sticky side to the wall and the other to the quilt then push them together. The front of the sticky side is velcro and they hold really well and come in different strengths. I use them to hold pictures as well as quilts and they do not leave any kind of residue on the wall or your quilt. You can get them at Joann's, Hobby Lobby or Michaels and I am sure any store like Target, KMart or Walmart carry them. If they will hold a large picture they will certainly hold a large quilt and they work really well when I change mine around for the various seasons.
Good idea! Those are certainly cheaper than PVC, but that doesn't really help me if I'm in the middle of the room.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by psumom View Post
We used a rolling chalkboard to display a quilt on. Maybe the Y has one?
Also a good suggestion! I'll ask them if I'm in the show.