Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Freezer Paper Applique (FPA) >

Freezer Paper Applique (FPA)

Freezer Paper Applique (FPA)

Old 10-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Reb

Default Freezer Paper Applique (FPA)

I've looked at many of the videos on YouTube for FPA and I've tried to find info here on the board. I'm wondering how a glue stick would work instead of the tiny drops of glue or, if I even need glue at all? Also, if anyone has tips for FPA I'd appreciate them. I picked the pattern and fabric long ago and I'm just getting to it. I still love it, fortunately. It looks daunting at this point but I don't want to quit. Thanks for any advice! Oh, one more 'tiny' problem. It is a 4 colorway pattern. I was able to get three of the colors in YLI silk #100. The 4th I can't get locally. I want one of each of two color blues. How do I buy the right shades online without having to buy a thread card too? Thanks, in advance, for all your help.

Last edited by Reb; 10-19-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 10-20-2013, 12:27 AM

I'm doing a BOM at my LQS and last month the tutorial was on this method. However, I'm confused with your reference to 'how a glue stick would work instead of the tiny drops of glue' .

In her method, she simply added a 1/4" seam allowance to the piece and ironed the edges over. Once it was stitched mostly in place, you remove the freezer paper. She also suggested one method of doing this was to cut a small hole in the backing fabric and tease it out that way (looked a lot of work to me, but I machine appliqué, lol).

With regard to the silk thread, it's been my experience that silk virtually 'disappears' into the fabric and is almost unnoticeable. You may find that one blue, mid way between the two colours will be fine. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2013, 01:34 AM
Power Poster

I also do not quite 'get' the glue part of your question- freezer paper sticks to your fabric very nicely. also, if you are doing hand applique- glue gets hard and is difficult to hand stitch through. I cut my pieces around the freezer paper-leaving my seam allowance *a little less than 1/4" usually* then use starch to fold over the seam allowance- a good pressing with starch the piece stays in shape, I can remove the freezer paper & place my piece---or I use the freezer paper templates-and do 'needle turn' applique. you are not saying what 'technique' you plan to use so it's hard to really answer your question.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I also do not quite 'get' the glue part of your question- freezer paper sticks to your fabric very nicely. also, if you are doing hand applique- glue gets hard and is difficult to hand stitch through. I cut my pieces around the freezer paper-leaving my seam allowance *a little less than 1/4" usually* then use starch to fold over the seam allowance- a good pressing with starch the piece stays in shape, I can remove the freezer paper & place my piece---or I use the freezer paper templates-and do 'needle turn' applique. you are not saying what 'technique' you plan to use so it's hard to really answer your question.
I also use a little liquid starch which I apply with a little paint brush, and then remove the paper before stitching down. I also use 2 layers of freezer paper. I trace the design on one then iron two layers together before cutting out. It just makes it a little thicker and if you are careful you can reuse your template.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:04 AM
Reb

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
I'm doing a BOM at my LQS and last month the tutorial was on this method. However, I'm confused with your reference to 'how a glue stick would work instead of the tiny drops of glue' .

In her method, she simply added a 1/4" seam allowance to the piece and ironed the edges over. Once it was stitched mostly in place, you remove the freezer paper. She also suggested one method of doing this was to cut a small hole in the backing fabric and tease it out that way (looked a lot of work to me, but I machine appliqué, lol).

With regard to the silk thread, it's been my experience that silk virtually 'disappears' into the fabric and is almost unnoticeable. You may find that one blue, mid way between the two colours will be fine. Good luck!
The videos used glue to place the pieces together in numbered order and then glue baste it to the background.
I agree I was going to try to pull the paper out first, rather than the slit method.
With your silk comment now I think I'll just be more confident in purchasing my thread for this online. The monitor can't make that much difference in the color as long as it "melts".
Old 10-20-2013, 03:13 AM
Reb

I did see where starch could be used to secure the ironed turn under. I wondered if the freezer paper could then be used over? I am not going to use needle turn unless I find that inner and outer points come out better. As in, I'm not as great with the iron as I am with the needle.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:19 AM
Reb

Sorry my replies are not posting the way I thought they would.
Woody - Two pieces answers my thought about the piece being too flimsy. I've done needlework a long time but I always used a hoop.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:29 AM
Reb

For you all, thank you. Your posts have reminded me of something I thought of quite awhile ago. Since I'm very partial to these fabrics, and they are way out of date, I'm going to make a test block. Something I never do with piecing. Maybe it will make it all click for me and take away that fear of the first cut into my special fabric.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

I took a class where we used a combination of freezer paper & undiluted starch, school glue & washable glue stick. It depended on the size and complexity of the shape which one was used. It's been a couple of years, but seems to me that the starch and a hot iron was used to coax sharp points into place before the applique was applied to the quilt. The glue stick was used for most pieces, with tiny dots of glue used for pointy or complex areas.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Reb

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I took a class where we used a combination of freezer paper & undiluted starch, school glue & washable glue stick. It depended on the size and complexity of the shape which one was used. It's been a couple of years, but seems to me that the starch and a hot iron was used to coax sharp points into place before the applique was applied to the quilt. The glue stick was used for most pieces, with tiny dots of glue used for pointy or complex areas.
Now this gives me several choices to try, and, get it right! Thanks!