Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: French Braid Opinions?

French Braid Opinions?

I took advantage of a 20% off Small Business Saturday deal at my LQS (Tomorrow's Treasures in MD - fabulous store with lovely ladies!) The fabrics are for a French Braid for one of my best friends who loves greens and blues.

I'd like opinions on the fabric selections, please. I believe that my fabrics are sound and flow in a pleasing manner, but I've also never made an orderly braid before (I have a scrappy WIP) and I may be missing something.

Here's the basic flow of my fabrics. The blue leaves on the left will be the center squares. I know that the accent square color for the middle is a little strange, but I wanted it to POP and we both love purple. Thoughts?

Greener half:

Bluer half:

I questioned for a while whether or not the metallic Asian fabric would work at this point in the braid. It reads lighter than the blues around it because of the gold, but I think it's kind of an interesting transition and it plays beautifully with the Egyptian fabric for the end triangles. Also, if you look at the blues of the fabric, it ties the more solid colors on either end perfectly together. More thoughts?

The only one I am concerned about is the Asian fabric you mentioned because it is lighter. I think it should be placed earlier due to the fact it is lighter. Take your picture and turn it black and white on the computer and it will help with the values.... Or make a black and white photocopy.

Your fabrics are gorgeous.

Personally, I would move the Asian fabric out of the middle. If it touches the egyptian fabric the gold print will mingle with the print on the point and if its next to the blue/green it blends as a lighter blue because of the gold. In the middle it kind of stands by itself and waves hello instead of helping your eyes move to next color.

You have one very lucky friend it will be a beauty when its all done no matter which way you go because the fabrics are stunning to start with it can only get better :-)

Blog Entries
    I say it is your quilt and if you are happy I am happy
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    This is going to be gorgeous!! I love the peacock feather "bridge"! Your friend is so lucky!!
    Cherylsea

Love the main fabrics...but I don't think the purple does the rest of the lovely fabrics justice. but thats just me..your friend my Love it.

First, I love the fabrics, but....I personally think the layout could be changed up a bit. It looks to me like you are doing a color wash look. (Love it!) Light going to dark. I may be wrong about this, but it seems that you jumped into the darker too soon. Some intermediate colors would make the transition smoother. I love the peacock fabric, but it is very different from the rest. Try it as your center (it has both green and blue) or right after your light transition, or the back - it really shines and as just another fabric it stands out as too different. I like the center fabric, but not as the center.
    All and all, it will be loved and appreciated because you did it just for her. And as it is it's beautiful.
    Judi in Ohio

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susansomethings View Post
    Love the main fabrics...but I don't think the purple does the rest of the lovely fabrics justice. but thats just me..your friend my Love it.
    I agree with this. The purple seems too out of place

I agree with putting the peacock fabric in the center instead of the purple. I think it would be stunning there. I am also not sure I would shade from light to dark within each color group because you end up with a darker value green followed by a lighter blue value. But the fabrics are gorgeous and no matter what you do, including leaving them just as is, it will be a stunning quilt. Can't wait to see the finished product!
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    Very pretty fabrics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast