Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frequently Asked Questions >

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Old 09-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I'm a newbie and here where some of my first questions

Do you wash your fabric before cutting or not?

How do you know which direction to cut the fabric?

What in the heck is a "Walking foot"?

What are the basic tools that I relly NEED to have? Like what size mat to buy, what size rotary cutter, what type of pins and needles, etc.?

How do you know how much fabric to buy?

Where can I get inexpensive quilting tools like rotary blades?

There are many more, but these were some of the basics that popped into my head...and of course...HOW in the heck am I supposed to thread THAT??? :shock:

Old 09-02-2007, 03:29 PM

How about these beginners' questions: :roll:

How do you bind a quilt?
How do you assemble a quilt without a binding? (pillowcase method)
Should I wash my fabric before using it?
What do the numbers on needles and/or thread mean?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:55 PM

Hi, I just joined today, too. I can answer your questions. First, unless you really need to because it is dirty, don't wash before. The sizing on the fabric makes it a little stiffer and easier to cut and sew. That said, very dark blues and some reds might bleed a little, even with today's fabrics. You can cut a small piece and put it in a container of warm, not hot, water. Agitate it a little and see if color comes out. If it doesn't, there is no need to pre-wash. You can also use a color magnet in the wash to catch extra dye.

Unless the directions say different, cut strips across the full width of the fabric.

A walking foot is a sewing machine foot used when quilting by machine (unless you have a Pfaff). Pfaff has a built in system.

Basic tools: a comfortable rotary cutter, a mat that is about 18"x24", a 6"x18" ruler and a square ruler (12"), thin pins (I like ones with ball heads), a small very sharp, pointed scissor. A pressing sheet is a good idea, too. Don't buy one especially for quilters. Go to a discount store and buy one in the kitchen section. They use them for baking cookies.

There is no such thing as inexpensive blades. Watch for 50% off coupons at chain stores like JoAnns and stock up then. They are also cheaper if you buy the 5 pack instead of singles.

The amount of fabric depends on the pattern and size of the project. Patterns tell you. If you are buying for your stash, no less than 1 yard, and 3 is better. That way you at least have enough to back a small quilt. You'll never find it again when you want it.

I hope this all helps you. :-)
Old 09-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Boo

Okay, just a reminder, this not a thread for answers. Admin. asked us to compile a list of frequently asked questions. The purpose of this thread is to find what questions come up most often.

Thank you all for your input. As I always say, Quilter's Rock! :lol:
Old 09-02-2007, 07:39 PM

Like someone already suggested, maybe we could arrange the questions into categories and then have links to categories of questions.

Would it be possible to have "Beginner's Lessons" with the very basic questions first? The categories could be "Lesson 1, Lesson 2, Lesson 3," etc.

There probably is no reason to re-invent the wheel, so why not take some of the best links that have been used here before and post them in the various categories?

The first questions I had as a beginner were:
1. How much cloth should I buy for various sizes of quilts?
2. What are the standard sizes for quilts?
3. What are the best beginners' patterns?
4. How would I calculate yardage for various patterns? Certainly, the rail fence would not be the same as Jewel Box.
5. What supplies do I need for the various types of patterns?
6. Should I know certain vocabulary before beginning?
7. What is WOF? What is Warp?
8. What is bias? or cross-cut?
9. Should bindings always be bias? Why?
10. How many lives do I need to learn all this? LOL :lol:
Old 09-02-2007, 07:41 PM

One of my early classes in quilting had to do with cutting bias quickly. That was one lesson I laid aside and should not have.

Does anyone on this list have that info?

Search Queen, where are you?

GramMER
Old 09-02-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by debcal1946
Hi, I just joined today, too.
Let me say your jacket is *beautiful.*

I am sure we can learn from each other on another thread.

GramMER
Old 09-02-2007, 08:53 PM

A drop-down menu would be helpful. It would take a lot of "computerizing" and "geeking", but you are all familiar with those sites that have drop-down menues when you hover your mouse over a title. If the home page were to be set up with the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS, then the various departments, like recent topics, BOM's (with each month in a drop-down for reference), Members, etc; I can see the vastness of this project, but I would like to keep all of the regular's entertained, plus encourage folks who have legimate questions that can be answered here. Sara
Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 AM

Thank you, GramMer. I made the jacket and matching bag for a competition. The back is even better, but for some reason, my PC wouldn't open the picture. I'll have to retake it. The jacket is actually very easy to do. It is from a pattern by Lacy Hill- no tailoring, no set in sleeves. I've made 3 versions.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:02 AM

GramMER, I just checked your profile and see that you are a retired teacher also. What did you teach? Where are you living now?