Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frixion Erasable Marker >

Frixion Erasable Marker

Frixion Erasable Marker

Old 02-27-2013, 04:42 AM

I use them all the time. You cannot use on satin or it will leave a mark. It's like a scar. But I always try on a sample first. But I live them.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
Has anyone used these for marking a quilt for quilting and does it disappear with ironing?
I know a few well known quilters who vendor at quilt shows and they have stopped carry them.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 AM

I played around quite a bit with this pen...hoping to find SOMETHING that i can see eaisily...just love it...however I don't use it on gift quilts...never know when the quilt will get left in a car or moved across country in the dead of winter..those lines will return.
I have read that if you use starch the lines don't wash out, otherwise they do wash out so for now I use the pen for marking in the margins only.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 AM

Use them all the time. Apparently after you wash the quilt they will not come back. They do come backwhen cold but as I said washing is supposed to solve that one. haven't tried the steam idea.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 AM

Default Frixion Ink is PERMANENT

Yes, it becomes "transparent" when ironed but nevertheless, the ink is still "there" and NOTHING AND I DO MEAN NOTHING will remove it. On the label I placed on a king size DWR marked with the Frixion pen, I clearly stated that if / when the marks return to remove them with a hot iron. Any exposure to freezing cold will cause the marks to re-appear. The pen does make very clear lines but just "be warned."

If you don't do any pressing on the marks during the construction of your quilt, stain removers will remove most of the markings. Unfortunately, we have to "press" as we go and this causes the Frixion ink to become PERMANENT.

Again, "Be warned."
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If I ever had a quilt to be major show worthy, I wouldn't use them due to the cold shipping issues. Since I will never have a quilt that good, I happily use them on my quilts and sewing projects.
Yeah, sister! Once I figured out (from reading it on here!) how to make the ink disappear (ironing) I do use them. I especially like them because they have a fine point, something I've found with no other product. Also, sometimes chalk just won't come out!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 AM

I have used the pens for months now and just love them. I steam them out and they have not re-appeared.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If I ever had a quilt to be major show worthy, I wouldn't use them due to the cold shipping issues. Since I will never have a quilt that good, I happily use them on my quilts and sewing projects.
Somehow I get the feeling that your quilts are probably gorgeous. Thanks again for your advice on my Chatter Quilts, I'm about to start using those little pieces of beauty.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
Has anyone used these for marking a quilt for quilting and does it disappear with ironing?
I love the Frixion pens. I know the objection to the lines reappearing when the quilt gets cold, but I live in a warm climate, cannot imagine every flying a quilt anywhere and certainly don't plan to keep one in the refrigerator or freezer. You will need to use your own judment about the quilt you make. froggyintexas
Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 AM

My favorite markers are the Crayola washable ones. Very inexpensive and comes right out