Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frixion pen >

Frixion pen

Frixion pen

Old 05-22-2015, 10:53 PM

Default Frixion pen

I know there have been questions and answers about these pens. My question I don't think as been covered.

frixion pen marks disappear with heat. If you wash the fabric in warm water when the quilt is complete, will the marks wash out?
Old 05-22-2015, 11:22 PM

No. Well that has been my luck. Luckily I have only used it on one wall hanging but after that mess I tried it on different colored scraps, washing temp setting, drying temp, different detergents, ironing the marks out before and not ironing the marks out. Just get it cold and the lines will show up.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:26 AM

I have been so confused about how to use them for the quilts that I won't buy one. I was gifted one and have never tried it.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:10 AM

It's my understanding that the marks disappear but don't wash out. Kind of scary. Though have friends that love them, I have never used one.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:17 AM

I have used them but only for making lines on the back of my fabrics so if the lines do return it really shouldn't matter. I really like using it but due to conversations about the lines returning I'm scared to use them on my tops.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:25 AM

I don't trust them, personally. They weren't designed for fabric use, and so I don't know what chemicals are in that ink and what they do to cotton fiber over time.

I have another problem with them aside from that concern: I tried using them anyway just to see how they did and apparently I draw my lines really fast - the friction of the pen tip running over the fabric vanishes the lines on me as soon as I draw them! LOL

I had bought a 3-pack; I took them all to work and use them there. Handy in meetings when people are being wishy-washy and changing their mind on me, I can sigh and dramatically erase stuff I had just written down. LOL
Old 05-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Friction creates heat so the marks have to have friction to go away. Tumbling in a hot dryer will work.

I use them. The gel washes out just like any other marking pens you use. I washed a sample after ironing and the marks did not re appear in the cold freezer. The sample I did not wash the marks came back. I trust them more then I trust the disappearing marking pens or the blue wash out pen which can be set permanently with heat. And I don't care if my quilts don't last for generations. They can make their own. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-23-2015 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:52 AM

I also have very mixed feelings about these pens. However, I purchased an embroidery pattern recently that recommended using them to transfer the pattern onto the fabric using a light box. I did an experiment. I do quite a lot of red work and had a piece that the original marks had faded out. So I used a red frixion pen to remark it. When I stitched it the marks were covered up. I will use heat on it-but it doesn't matter. So, when I do the new pattern I will use pens that match the color I will embroider with. I am very hesitant to use them on a quilt top for fear they will shadow or reappear. But, my solution is to use Crayola washable markers. I also use Elmer's school glue to make quilt sandwiches. I always wash my quilts and it all comes out. I have never had a bad experience with these products.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:30 AM

Very interesting reading all the different comments. I'm still confused about them being the best form of marking. Some people say. My latest quilt, the delft on I'm marking only in blue because I'm using 3 blue fabrics.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:25 AM

I did a test and washing came out for me and stuck in freezer no lines, if not washed lines came back