Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frixion pens and batiks don't mix >

Frixion pens and batiks don't mix

Frixion pens and batiks don't mix

Old 03-17-2014, 07:14 PM

Default Frixion pens and batiks don't mix

I love the frixion pens and have never had any problem using them until now. I marked a simple quilting design on a baby quilt. The marks disappeared completely on the regular cotton when I put the iron to it, but it left a faint light mark on the batik. I'm a novice at FMQ and it was only noticeable where I went off the lines. I don't use batiks as a rule, but am curious if anyone here has had this problem or could it have been this particular batik. I didn't test it on the batik before I marked the whole quilt---my bad.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

The white line can happen on lots of other fabrics, not just batiks.

Look very closely at your other fabrics that you have used it on. If they were light, there is probably a ghost line there, but is faint and thus why you do not see it. I've even seen it on white-on-white fabrics .... but yes, for the better part you do not see it.

As you now recognize ... testing before use, is important, to avoid problems!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

They can leave a faint line on some dark fabrics not just batiks.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:22 AM

i've had the faint line disappear after washing....if you're not washing, then try getting it wet.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:44 AM
Power Poster

since a baby quilt will be laundered a lot, the lines will disappear - it is normal for frixon pens to leave those lines on darker/more saturated colors- batik or not.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:26 AM

I've had the same experience. Our little quilting group conducted our own experiment and found that, yes, it does leave a ghost line. I think you have the impression that the line fades on a quilted top after washing. But we tried everything kind of washing product we know of on unquilted fabric and the line remained. That said, I still use the pens. My quilts don't go to people who get out their magnifying glasses to check for lines.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

I have never seen or used them but as QuiltE said: "As you now recognize ... testing before use, is important, to avoid problems!". I marked a quilt with Blue Clover Thin Chaco-Liner. I didn't test it because their white chalk was always (and still is) my go to method of marking dark fabrics. I learn this lesson the hard way.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have never seen or used them but as QuiltE said: "As you now recognize ... testing before use, is important, to avoid problems!". I marked a quilt with Blue Clover Thin Chaco-Liner. I didn't test it because their white chalk was always (and still is) my go to method of marking dark fabrics. I learn this lesson the hard way.
........... I think we all have lessons that we have learned the hard way!

The important thing is to test it under the exact same conditions and treatments!
If the fabrics in the quilt sandwich have been washed or not, starched or Best Press'd or whatever .... duplicate it for the trial runs.

Isn't it frustrating that there has yet to be the "perfect-goof-proof-use-everytime" marker made for we quilters??
Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

I used this and it has worked every time on a lot of washable inks: http://www.bluelineeraser.com/
Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 AM

You know what's also interesting about these pens. You can iron off the mark, but if the item gets cold, the mark comes back. I marked up a piece of linen into sections for cross-stitching with a frixion pen and left it in my car in the winter and the lines came back that I had ironed off.