Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frustrated/ please advise about bobbin& top thread >

Frustrated/ please advise about bobbin& top thread

Frustrated/ please advise about bobbin& top thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:24 PM

Default Frustrated/ please advise about bobbin& top thread

I have used monofilament thread for a long time but I can't seem to get my machines to cooperate. I'm really tired of using that type of thread and struggle with pop-ups. I really want to use something different and have been advised to use the same color in top and bobbin but what if the backing is white and the thread color on the top is much darker? I can never get the tensions just right. What do you experienced quilters do? Please help if you can. I have to finish this quilt this week
Old 10-28-2013, 06:27 PM

If you want to use white in the bobbin and a darker color on top -- do so. Sew on a sample first to make sure your tensions are such that the top thread isn't going thru to the back more than you want. Is there a reason that you don't want to use white on the top, too? Start with a normal (or mid #) tension and go from there. Hope this helps. Here's a hint: if the back of fabric looks looping - tighten upper thread tension. (But make sure you have properly threaded your machine -- redo it at least once before messing with tensions.)
Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 PM

I have been using glide thread and my tension troubles seem to be gone! Check fil tec site
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 PM

It's important to have the same weight thread in bobbin and tension, not necessarily the same color........if you get 'pokies' its best they show on the back, not the front. I've never used/heard of glide thread as posted by patski, but it might be worth a try.....you didn't specify if you are using a longarm or your dsm.....but basically it should be the same on either one.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:32 AM

Is your monofilament nylon? I've read the polyester version is world's better in so many ways! General info here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/resources/article-87.html

Last edited by LavenderBlue; 10-29-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:52 AM
Power Poster

are you trying to quilt on your 'domestic machine'? you don't mention what kind of invisible thread you are 'trying' to use- but polyester-monofilament (I use Superior Mono-Poly) is a wonderful thread- use a size 70/10 needle (if you are not using the correct needle for the thread being used it can cause all kinds of problems) and the thread of your choice in the bobbin. I've used this a lot stitching down appliques I love this thread. if you want to switch to cotton threads instead of using invisible- try using a 'neutral' that will blend in if you have light backing/dark top, you could use light in the bobbin & maybe a medium/dark gray on top; gray's (light on light, medium/dark on darks) tend to blend into the colors under them. but, using the correct needle for the size/weight of the thread being used makes getting your tension correct a lot easier.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:48 AM

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I am using a domestic machine. I don't like to use a darker thread on light fabric simply because my FMQ is rotten(uneven stitches). My juke salesman said for me to use a size 18 needle for fmq. But he didn't know I was using mono. thread. I changed the needle this morning to a 70 and I think my problem is solved. I knew I could get help on The QB