Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frustrated - ready to give up fmq >

Frustrated - ready to give up fmq

Frustrated - ready to give up fmq

Old 11-05-2015, 04:14 PM

You may want to try Sewers Aid. It's a silicone lubricant for thread. I wouldn't FMQ without it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...id-t65173.html
Old 11-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

I use Sewer's Aid on all my thread. The Bernina tech and Brother/Janome tech told me it will not cause a problem with the machine if used as directed.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:56 PM

A couple things that haven't been mentioned...

You could also loosen the bobbin case tension. Or there could be a burr on your hook.

Removing the needle plate and cleaning the bobbin area is a great idea, too.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:09 AM

I had a similar problem and after rethreading, changing needles for size and type I discovered that the foot to my FMQ foot was loose. I have a Janome 8900 which has three interchangeable feet to FMQ (open toe, closed toe and round plastic). The screw that holds that part of the foot on had become loose and I didn't notice it and it allowed enough give in the stitching to break the thread. I also adjusted the pressure of the foot against the fabric to be a little more so the fabric stayed closer to the bed of the machine. Between those two I was up and running.

If you have a speed control on your machine I found it helpful to find your "sweet spot" speed wise and then all you have to worry about is regulating the speed with which you move your hands since you can just push down on the foot pedal without having to control the speed of the needle.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:52 AM

Considering finding a quilt shop which will assist you....you bring in your machine, threads, needles and quilt...for a nominal fee the personnel will teach you, usually
Old 11-06-2015, 06:00 AM

Use a polyester thread! Something like Isaacord or Madeira. That is what Leah Day uses...and it is wonderful!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:31 AM

I've FMQ on several different machines- and I have one that simply will not do it nicely - broken or missed stitches. And it happens to be my main sewing machine too, so I was ready to give up.

But then I tried it using my old Singer 15 with a hopping foot- and I can do almost anything with it. I've tried several others, but so far I've not found one that does better than the Singer 15 (and I've done it with three different 15's with good results on all of them).

I use it for smaller projects and embellishments that I don't want to do with the long arm.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:20 AM

I had one quilt and was trying to FMQ border only. Just 3-4 inches wide and using the same machine I always use. It just would NOT work, thread broke every few stitches. Tried everything, nothing helped. Finally I switched to another machine and was able to finish it. Wished I hadn't. Never did like the way it looked though I had been sure it was what I wanted to do.
I think my machine was trying to tell me something! and I wouldn't listen........
And by the way, have had no further issues with the machine.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:07 AM

I use a size 90/14 or 100/16 top stitch needle. I don't have problems with the thread breaking once I changed to using the top stitch needles. Slow down on the curves and that will help also.
Sharon in Texas
Old 11-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan and Rob. Slow down because you won't get even stitching by speeding. You have to be able to match a comfortable speed on your machine and move the quilt as the DSM would have.