Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrated

Angry Frustrated

Does anyone else have this problem? My washing machine takes any length of fabric (sheets too) and twists it into coil. I unwind before putting it into the dryer, but then the dryer does the same thing! Makes ironing those wrinkles out a real chore, even though I take it out slightly damp. Last night I pre-washed 5.5 yards for a quilt backing and spent a half hour ironing. I've tried in the past putting a heavy towel in the dryer with it but no luck. Grrrrrrrrrr

I've read here, about folding the fabric accordion style and safety pinning at the top of the folds. maybe that will help. I don't prewash, so I don't know from experience. Or maybe a mesh wash bag would work?
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries

Frustrated

I solved this problem this way: putting my new yardage in a pillow case and tying a knot on the end so the material will stay in the pillow case. You are only washing the material to get out all of the sizing put into it during manufacturing so this works great

Quote Originally Posted by hikingquilter View Post
    Does anyone else have this problem? My washing machine takes any length of fabric (sheets too) and twists it into coil. I unwind before putting it into the dryer, but then the dryer does the same thing! Makes ironing those wrinkles out a real chore, even though I take it out slightly damp. Last night I pre-washed 5.5 yards for a quilt backing and spent a half hour ironing. I've tried in the past putting a heavy towel in the dryer with it but no luck. Grrrrrrrrrr
    Jean
    from Middle River, Md USA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazythread View Post
    I solved this problem this way: putting my new yardage in a pillow case and tying a knot on the end so the material will stay in the pillow case. You are only washing the material to get out all of the sizing put into it during manufacturing so this works great
    You can use this or a mesh laundry bag and it makes this problem go away. I've never had the problem in my dryer though but when I was alot of pants the legs all get wrapped around each other. I untangel them before the dryer and all is fine when they are dry.
    Judy

I was just thinking to try putting it in a pillowcase.
    Heather

Some washers may be worse than others. Mine doesn't twist things too much as long as I use gentle cycle. For the dryer, I try to remember to check periodically and straighten things out. Really big pieces sometimes get draped over the bannister for drying.

This is the method I use on large pieces. Just make sure you pin as close to the edges as possible.

Blog Entries
    the accordion fold method works great! fold in about 1-2 yard length and pin the selvedge edge every 6-8" or so.

I have pillow covers that zip. Thanks for the idea of the pillow case. Isn't it amazing what a washer and dryer can do to clothes, sheets, fabric?
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

My daughter has a washing machine that does NOT have the agitator in the middle. I use it when I'm washing new fabric and do it on gentle cycle. It works! Somehow the dryer doesn't twist it up that much.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast