Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frustrated! >

Frustrated!

Frustrated!

Old 08-19-2014, 01:48 PM

Maybe this is a "dumb" question, but why do you have to do the "rocking" stitch? Isn't it easier to go "up and down" (is this one stitch at a time???)? Is there a specific reason for the rocking stitch? I haven't hand quilted anything (yet) and just want to know. Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:04 PM

I learned counted cross stitch prior to learning quilting and counted cross stitch uses a stab stitch making one stitch at a time. It may be slower but it is what I have always done when hand quilting. I too cannot get even stitches when trying to do a running stitch.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Maybe this is a "dumb" question, but why do you have to do the "rocking" stitch? Isn't it easier to go "up and down" (is this one stitch at a time???)? Is there a specific reason for the rocking stitch? I haven't hand quilted anything (yet) and just want to know. Thanks for starting this thread.
I think the reason for the rocking stitch is greater consistency and greater speed. Personally, I can't get any consistency when stab stitching, and it's so slow. I'm a slow worker anyway, and even with the traditional approach it takes a very long time. I'd never get anywhere stab stitching. But whatever works for you!