Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fun and done-does this yardage sound right? >

fun and done-does this yardage sound right?

fun and done-does this yardage sound right?

Old 12-31-2010, 11:58 PM

I'm planning to make these for my kids' twin size quilts. So I'm working on one and for the backing fabrics alone I need 7 yards. :shock: does that sound right (because of all the seams and all). The quilt I'm working on now is about 68 x 88 (not sure if that's twin but that's all the bigger it's going to be). I have 2 charm packs plus 12 fq for the top and I need to add another 1.5 yards for it. I'm doing 4 patch alternating with plain blocks. I'm attaching what it should be like with 8.5" blocks (they'll be sewn at 9" and the backing/sashing will cover part of them). The sashing isn't colored in but it will be either pink or yellow or a combo of both. I didn't see a fun & done pattern like this which is why I'm trying to figure out my own.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-150892.jpe  
Old 12-31-2010, 11:59 PM

I should add that the plain blocks won't be all yellow. They'll be assorted from the fat quarters and extra yardage and I'll also use some of the extra for more 5" squares for the blocks since I don't have enough charms for all of them. I just filled it in this way for simplicity's sake.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:23 AM

On Fun and Done, the backing block is 2 inches larger than the front block. So, on a 8.5 inch block for the front, you'll need to figure the yardage for a 10.5 inch backing block. Count your blocks and multiply.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:19 AM

it sounds like the one our guild taught...it was a version of a stack and wack and took alot of fabric...I did a table runner
Old 01-01-2011, 10:47 AM

I figured it at 12" just to be safe. The blocks will be 9" including seam allowance (the backing is cut 1" bigger than the unsewn blocks right?) so that gives me a .5" leeway. In the long run I'll be money ahead I guess, since I won't bother trying to machine quilt something that big on my machine so I'll save on longarm fees. Still that is a lot of fabric! I knew it would be more for the seams but I didn't know if it would be that much more.