Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fun and Done quilt-has anyone done one with a pattern that uses charm packs? >

Fun and Done quilt-has anyone done one with a pattern that uses charm packs?

Fun and Done quilt-has anyone done one with a pattern that uses charm packs?

Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 PM

I have 2 charm packs, a dozen fat quarters and some solid yardage and I can add some more yardage of whatever kind (the packs and fqs are Moda Eden) to make my dd a slightly smaller than twin size quilt. I want to use the fun and done method (aka quilt-as-you-go). Has anyone made one that uses charm packs? I wonder how it would work to just make 4 patch blocks and use those with solids for the backing/mock sashing.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Fox

I've used them...with mixed feelings. I still want to pre shrink everything, and you really can't do that with charm packs. One store owner I talked to says that charms are the future of quilting, because everyone loves the puckered look when they're finally washed as a quilt. But that means your backing can't be preshrunk (is that a word?), and what if something isn't color fast even in COLD water? I guess I'm too old to change. I NEED to preshrink!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:12 AM

I don't generally prewash anyway so that's not an issue for me. I did a table runner with blacks, whites, greens, and bright orange and didn't have any trouble when I washed it in hot water. I just was wondering if there's a good pattern using charms that will work for the fun and done. Or maybe any pattern would work if I just quilted each block after I assembled it (but before sewing the blocks to each other).
Old 11-12-2010, 08:28 AM

I just was wondering if there's a good pattern using charms that will work for the fun and done. Or maybe any pattern would work if I just quilted each block after I assembled it (but before sewing the blocks to each other).[/quote]

I like using the "fun and done" method. I think you could use any pattern that you could center on the backing block over the batting. If you wanted to use a charm pack why not the disappearing four patch pattern? Or you could use jelly roll strips to make a sixteen patch...4x4 squares. I love the way it seems that each block has a border and the back is a quilt too. I love mixing up the fabrics for a true scrappy look.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 PM

I always prewash everything so I've never used any precuts.

I don't agree that everyone loves the puckered look. I don't and I always used Warm Blend instead of Warm & Natural because I don't like that antique puckered look.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Fox

It's been a while for me, could you help me recall this? If "fun and done" is the same as quilt as you go; the square would be sewn into a block, then a batting and un-preewashed backing would be added, quilted, and the sewn together, the backing sewn by hand? See it has been many years for me! Does that sound right?
Old 11-13-2010, 05:27 PM

No, it is quilt as you go but in rather different mode. You cut a backing square two inches larger than your block. Cut the batting the same size as your block. Then you can sew and flip the block part or center a premade block and machine quilt it. It gives you one inch all around extra backing. Sew the backing pieces together right sides together just at the place where the block, batting ends, fold over the extra backing twice and sew down to the block. Only do this one right and left sides, leave top and bottom undone so you can attach rows together later. Make rows, sew rows together...this is confusing I know, but if you google "fun and done" you will find a video made by the quilt shop that sells templates for this. I did buy the templates but really I don't need them, I just need to measure and center correctly. here is a link https://www.baysidequilting.com/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=284]https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284[/url]
Old 11-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Fox

Okay...I forgot about the size differences, I"m glad I just didn't start one without thinking it out better. And that 10 year old girl, wow. I wasn't allowed to touch a sewing machine at that age. Thanks Kellen!