Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fusible Applique Question - Do you have to prewash?

Fusible Applique Question - Do you have to prewash?

I'm a quilter who does not pre-wash her fabrics. I know many do think it is necessary and really don't want to start a debate about what is best, lol. :-) What I would like to know is whether the various fusibles work OK on unwashed fabric. Do the edges of the applique get yucky and come loose if the sizing in the fabric is not removed? All of the recent threads about applique are getting me thinking about giving it a try. :-) Laura

If my memory serves me correct the only caution I have seen is NOT to use fabric softner if you wash. This came off some packaging somewhere but it was a few years ago and I do not remember which exact product it was. My guess would be Heat and Bond because that the one that I use the most.

Blog Entries
    I have had issues with fusible not wanting to stick to the unwashed fabrics or if it stuck it wouldn't completely fuse the fabrics together. The sizing and other chemicals in fabric production is the culprit. Also fabric softner will cause.the same issue so use it if you wash yourfabrics.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

With fusible web especially, yes, you have to pre-wash to remove all the finishes from the fabric in order for it to adhere properly and securely. That also means no fabric softeners or dryer sheets that would add chemicals back to the surface. Same with Fast2Fuse and Decor Bond.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I don't prewash anything. I use Best Press on everything before I cut it. I've used both Wonder Under and Heat n Bond and they both work fine. They're both meant to be sewn down.

Blog Entries
    I have used unwashed fabric with fusible but ONLY for wallhangings. I'm afraid that the chemicals in the fabric would not create a good bond with the interfacing and things would bunch when washed.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I make fusible applique quilts, wall hangings, tablerunners etc. and I never pre-wash my fabrics, I use Lt. Steam a Seam II and then stitch around them. I have never had any problems.

as long as you're going to stitch the applique down eventually, there is no need to pre=wash. As someone said, the glues don't respond as well on unwashed fabric, or fabric that has been washed and softener used....so, to stitch or not, that is the answer to the question of whether to wash or not.
    Kate