Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible Applique Question >

Fusible Applique Question

Fusible Applique Question

Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 PM

Default Fusible Applique Question

This is a question for my DH. He made a quilt with large Halloween characters. They are "steam a seam" appliqued on with blanket stitching all around. The character's faces are not quilted, however their eyes, noses, bow ties, etc. are stitched around with the blanket stitch. He did a fantastic job. Here's my question...what will happen when this get's washed? Or should he specify to whoever gets it that it should not be washed? Has anybody washed a fusible appliqued quilt? If you did wash it, did you dry it in a dryer? Thanks for any and all feedback.
Alice for Al
Old 05-22-2014, 05:04 PM

If they are tacked down with the blanket stitch, they should stay tacked.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:14 PM

I'm back... DH had a sample he had done with 2 characters. You were right! On this sample, he had not blanket stitched around a couple small pieces (a nose, eyes). He washed it with a couple towels and the pieces not blanket stitched came loose. Everything else came out great! He put it in the dryer for 10 minutes and it looks great. I'm so proud of his work I could just BURST!!!!
Alice
Old 05-22-2014, 06:36 PM

I agree...they should stay ....I have had a couple baby quilts that the applique has come loose...those I had repaired with hand stitching them down. They are grandkids and they get washed pretty often. Just tell the receivers to was gently.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:35 AM

While we are on the subject of fusible appliqué, what product do you recommend to use? I have been scared to try it because I am worried that when it is washed, the result will be a puckered mess and that it will not be soft. Any words of wisdom. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:23 AM
Power Poster

since most of my quilts are machine appliqued they get laundered all the time- as long as the appliques are stitched down they come out fine. the fusible 'stuff' washes away when laundered so there are no *stiff* areas anymore- and yes- I toss the quilts into the dryer (regular cycle) after washing. I expect the quilts I make to be used- so I always wash/ dry them before (gifting/giving/selling) any of them- it is the last step after binding for a finished project. the only ones I do not launder are wall hangings I expect to never be laundered- that perhaps I did not stitch the appliques onto (never happens- but if I were to not stitch my appliques I would not launder) since the fusible is made to wash away after stitching. there is a fusible that is permanent, stiff, and made to not sew down- it creates very stiff, heavy appliques- and if you try to stitch it down it really takes it's toll on a needle- along with causing a lot of 'glue buildup' on the needle- hopefully that is not what he used- but regular- 'lite' sew-able fusible.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Alice PD View Post
I'm back... DH had a sample he had done with 2 characters. You were right! On this sample, he had not blanket stitched around a couple small pieces (a nose, eyes). He washed it with a couple towels and the pieces not blanket stitched came loose. Everything else came out great! He put it in the dryer for 10 minutes and it looks great. I'm so proud of his work I could just BURST!!!!
Alice

PLEASE post a picture.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yadroc View Post
PLEASE post a picture.
I agree, Please post a picture. I can't decide if I should use the blanket stitch or a satin stitch on an applique for a baby quilt.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:30 AM

I don't fuse anything I plan to wash.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:22 PM

I'm working on posting the pictures. Just figuring out how to do it and stay within their size limits for jpg pictures.
Alice