Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible Applique >

Fusible Applique

Fusible Applique

Old 05-03-2011, 08:48 AM

I have a question about fusible applique. After I have ironed my design to the fusible product and peel the paper off the back it still feels really, really stiff. Before I iron the design onto my quilt I need to know if it will always have this stiff feeling or will it soften when the quilt is washed? I am using a fusible product that states it is a light weight fusible product. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

It will stay stiff. What brand of fusible are you using?

One way to make a fusible applique softer is to cut out the middle of the fusible shape before fusing to fabric. For this technique, you draw (the reverse shape) directly onto the fusible paper, cut out the middle leaving about 1/4" inch of fusible between the cut edge and the drawing line, then cut on the drawing line.

You might want to try Misty Fuse. This is a very lightweight fusible that gets rave reviews. It does not come with paper, so you need to use a teflon-type applique sheet or parchment paper to protect surfaces when you fuse. (It will peel right off a teflon sheet.) Here is a link to it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Mistyfuse-Mist...dp/B000PFPSJI/

Misty Fuse comes in different sizes and colors, so do a search before deciding to order.

Edit: For the most natural look to the applique, use parchment paper rather than a teflon pressing sheet. The fabric ends up with a slight sheen to it with the teflon.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:57 AM

It will soften somewhat during repeated washings, but it will be stiffer than the surrounding fabrics. What kind of fusible are you using?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

if you have use a fusible try steam a seam 2 lite! and then cut out the middle and only fuse the edges..
Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

The Heat and Bond lite is good too!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

heat n bond is also coming out with "featherweight" which will be the lightest on the market...I just wish my bolts would come in already so I can see it for myself!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

it depends on the product you are using...many of them soften right up nicely once the quilt is washed the first time...some are more appropriate for wall hangings.
wonder under, steam a seam lite and heat & bond lite all soften up nicely when washed.
i've been using all 3 for years.
there is also one called misty fuse- that one is soft even before washing.