Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fusible for Applique????

What type of fusible web do you use when you applique???

I have never done any applique before, but have purchased several patterns/books that I would love to try - but nervous to get started
    Thanks

It depends on whether you'll be sewing the appliques after fusing them on or not. Some fusible materials are not intended for sewing and will gum up your needle badly. If you will be sewing, then I recommend a light weight fusible. There are several brands and different people have their own favorites. I purchase what's on sale, and don't really have a favorite but Steam-a-seam Lite is one brand. There is also Heat'n'bond Lite brand. Again, if you're sewing them after fusing, then either will work.

Blog Entries
    I like Lite Steam-a-Seam 2. If the applique is large, you can cut out the center of the fusible and just have it fuse for 1/2" or so around the edges. It makes it much softer. If you want a stiffer applique, you can try the regular Steam-a-seam or Heat'n'Bond (ultra?).

Heat and Bond Ultra will gum up your needle. It's not meant to be sewn afterward. If you want to do a decorative stitch around the edge use the Lite. I like Wonder Under or Under Wonder, I never can remember which it is.

The reason I was asking is that Joann's has this on sale

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...zprd_09293069a

But after almost buying it, I realized it is just for interfacing for reg sewing not applique??

I really love the Heat and Bond Lite!

Blog Entries
    I understand your nervousness. I felt that way a couple of years ago. I had everything I needed including a wonderful new book by Janet Pittman. But, I was afraid of failure so afraid to start. Finally, I just dove in and my first attempt turned out great. Now I fearlessly applique to my heart's content. I always use "HeatnBond Lite." It is made for either hand or machine use. You can buy it by the yard or in smaller packets. I get it at Wal Mart or Joann. I'm confident that you will have success with it. Good Luck!

Stem n Seam 2 works for me.

Shades Soft-Fuse

Banned
    There is an interesting and informative article in the current issue of McCall's magazine about this subject.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast