Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible batting or not? >

Fusible batting or not?

Fusible batting or not?

Old 03-07-2014, 02:53 PM

Default Fusible batting or not?

What are your thoughts on Hobbs Fusible batting. The price is great and I do use quilt basting spray with Warm and Natural so I was thinking this would be a great way to save some $ using the less expensive fusible Hobbs. I've read conflicting reviews. Would appreciate the advice from the pros on the QB
Old 03-07-2014, 02:56 PM

I have used it for wall hangings and liked it, I used it for a lap quilt and it worked pretty well. I don't think I would like it for a large quilt though.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

I have used it on twin and queen size quilts. The tough part is ironing the sandwich together. I have old carpet in the basement that I can lay it out flat and iron. I lay out the sandwich and iron the top first and it holds the sandwich together enough that I can flip it over and iron the back. I iron from the middle out and sometimes have to lift the edge if the fabric advances. I do the back second because I want it really smooth because I can't see it while FMQ. I put a few safety pins around the edges so I don't accidentally peel the edges back while FMQ.
I have not had any wrinkles in my backing fabric and really like it. I like 505 and have only used Elmer's washable glue basting on a small quilt so far.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:09 PM

I've found it difficult to use on large quilts. I always get wrinkles on the back.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

I use it but it comes stuck together. you must unroll it. sometimes has wrinkles but I usually get those flattened out. Still has been a help to me and I like it. And i sometimes use 505 basting spray on non fusible batting.
I use my joann's folding table for most quilts. I have a six foot flat board I fold the quilt on, flipping over and over until I can't reach over the table any further. then spray, unfold the quilt, pressing down firmly each time. then turn the quilt and do the other side the same way. then to the ends and more sides if necessary. works well for me. I certainly prefer either of these methods to pin basting or thread basting. my back thinks this is hard enough.

Last edited by nativetexan; 03-07-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

I am just old fashion. I pin baste my quilts using Hobbs 20/80 and I have never been disappointed with the batting. I learned this over 20 years ago and this old dog isn't about to learn any new tricks !! Good Luck!!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:23 PM

I haven't tried the Hobbs fusible, but I used something called Fusi-Boo (from Joanne's). It wasn't a large quilt and I thought it ironed on pretty well and held on during FMQ. The problem came later when I washed it and it shrunk more than the 3% stated and got super limp. Maybe I'll try the Hobbs next time.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:45 PM

I used Fusi-Boo for the first time on a lap quilt just about a month ago. Although I liked it better than pin basting, I probably won't use it again. There were wrinkes on the back that were impossible to undo. It took forever to press the whole quilt so it would fuse, and after quilting one half of the quilt, I needed to refuse the other half because it had unfused in certain areas. Hope this helps!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 PM

Only ever tried it once....didn't like it at all. I'll stick with my Elmer's school glue.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:25 PM

Only used it for purses and totes, where it worked really well.