Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible Batting >

Fusible Batting

Fusible Batting

Old 10-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS View Post
You mean if you had quilted lines 10" apart, would you be able to pinch apart the quilt sandwich in the unquilted areas?
Yes (as you could with regular batting).

The fusing is just some adhesive-like finish they put on the batting.
You can definitely feel it on the batting right out of the bag.

The same way the Elmer's or 505 would wash out after quilting, so does this "finish."
Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know ... if it returned right back to being like regular batting after washing ... pinchable and all!

JanRN ... Oh dear .. this is not a good sign.
Do you have any labelling info as to what the product is eg. brand name, type etc.
Those that "know" may have more specific info to help you.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 AM

QuiltE, you have to "quilt" it just like any quilt, and the fusible softens and disappears and you have a normal quilt left. I like to use double sided fusible batting because it eliminate the pinning (and several hours labor). Follow the directions and do one side (all the kinds I've used let you do one side w/o steam (to make the whole thing stay together), then the other side with steam. Always start pressing in the middle (as you would if you were pinning the quit top/back on) and work outward. After that you actually do the quilting of the sandwich together.

We live in California in an area where really warm quilts are generally not needed. The thinner batting works for me, even the June Tayor double sided which doesn't seem all that even, but never seems to leave any noticible thin spots. My family started asking for less dense quilts early on so the kids (and themselves) could use them year around.

Mke sure you get double-sided, if that is what you want! I always wash my quilts before gifting them anyway, so it all works for me! Enjoy!

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
A question about the fusible batting .....
..... after it is washed, does it stay fused?
or does it wash away?

Last edited by Sierra; 10-24-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:22 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
I'm still nervous about this LOL. Can I peel it apart? (It's not quilted yet). The pieces are small triangles, lots of bias edges so I'm not sure if I pull it apart maybe it would stretch. It's so hard I'm afraid to quilt it--I think it would break the needle. Maybe I did something wrong--it's not just stiff. It is rock hard like plastic.
Thanks for all the input--you guys are great.
You did nothing wrong.
It's supposed to be very stiff.
ooc, did you use the poly or cotton fusible?

Aside from being alarmed at the unexpected stiffness, does it/will it hang nice and flat?

Because there is nothing that says you HAVE to wash it, especially since it's a wall hanging.

Really, it will be fine if you wash it.

If you're really flipping out over it, because it's just a WH, wash it, then take it out of the machine and dry it flat on your table or counter. Place a towel underneath for a sort of an unofficial blocking.

And don't forget to breathe.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

Hobbs 80/20 stiffness ....about a 10 inch square sandwich will stay flat in your hand and not bend kind of like corrugated cardboard but you can easily bend or fold it with 2 hands. You can peel up the top or bottom and re-fuse if you get a wrinkle. I do not use steam to iron since the fusible is water solvable. If you are using another brand then I can't give you any pointers. I have no trouble machine quilting through the Hobbs.