Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fusible question,will it hold up >

fusible question,will it hold up

fusible question,will it hold up

Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 AM

Default fusible question,will it hold up

I am this far on my quilt. I tried many things on the border and came up with this. I have to stitch the vine down but the thought of appliquing all the buds and leaves makes me tired.
I have never used a fusible with out zigzaging the daylights out of the edges ..
Has anyone every just straight stitched the edge on something that is going to be washed once in a while? say once or twice a year?
Will it hold up or should I just bite the bullet and spend a bunch of time putting this one and turning the edges? ACk
Attached Thumbnails 20120430_2.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

I do use fusible Wonder Under when I do raw edge applique. I stitch about 1/8 to 1/16 inside the edge of all the pieces. This works best for me with batiks because they fray less than regular cotton. Your vine edges will get little fuzzy edges after a few washes. If you don't mind the fuzzy edges than I would say go for it. Your quilt top is beautiful and you've worked so hard already, a turned edge would be nice. It's your quilt so do what feels right to you.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 AM

If you're gonna wash it at all, I would turn the edges, when using a straight stitch. However . . . (thinking outside the box, here) you could kinda cheat a bit, by using narrow ribbon, for your vines. As for the buds and leaves, you could use that method, where you sew fusible interfacing to the right side, then turn it. Turning with the interfacing turns the edges, for you. I believe there was a tute on the board about this, not long ago.

The quilt is gorgeous!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
If you're gonna wash it at all, I would turn the edges, when using a straight stitch. However . . . (thinking outside the box, here) you could kinda cheat a bit, by using narrow ribbon, for your vines. As for the buds and leaves, you could use that method, where you sew fusible interfacing to the right side, then turn it. Turning with the interfacing turns the edges, for you. I believe there was a tute on the board about this, not long ago.The quilt is gorgeous!

The vine is all finished except for being sewn down . I did it the way they make the bias for celtic knot quilts. Lots of ironing. I had forgotten about the fusible. Yes!!!! That will save me some time. Then I can straight stitch the edge instead of going for the zigzag. going to look for the tute right now.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

with fusables you need to stitch the peices down- how is your choice- often a straight stitch is fine- a blanket stitch also works well-or a zig-zag---it is your choice what method you want to use for your appliques.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

I think you found the perfect answer! It will hold up and look great too!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Sure is pretty - and what you plan to do for the border will be beautiful!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM

I would turn the edges then straight stitch the edges. You can even use a bias maker to make the vines. Stitch your inside curves first and it'll lay down alot nicer.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
with fusables you need to stitch the peices down- how is your choice- often a straight stitch is fine- a blanket stitch also works well-or a zig-zag---it is your choice what method you want to use for your appliques.
I was trying to be Lazy!!! There is going to be at least 44 flower buds and a gazillion leaves.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:49 PM

I love the turned inside out with fusible method.....easy to sew with normal stitches after applying!!!