Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Which fusible should I use?

I'm hand embroidering kitchen towel sets for family and friends for Christmas gift giving. I want to put something on the backside of the towels to hide and re-enforce the stitching (just in the area where I've stitched the design). I fused a piece of Pellon lightweight interfacing on a few of the towels, washed them and all of the interfacing fell off in the washer. I don't want to stitch anything on the backsides...what can you suggest for me? Any helps are appreciated!

did you use water soluble interfacing? That may have been the cause of your mishap.

Blog Entries
    Is it a loosely woven fabric/bumpy texture or terry cloth? You may want to hand stitch a patch of matching fabric over the back so that it blends in...

Hmmm..I handstich primitive designs on muslin backed by Warm & Natural..I then I cut and sew the design onto the towel. The W & N hides all the stitches..

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    did you use water soluble interfacing? That may have been the cause of your mishap.
    Nope...it was the permanent kind...just didn't stick.

:thumbdown:

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Is it a loosely woven fabric/bumpy texture or terry cloth? You may want to hand stitch a patch of matching fabric over the back so that it blends in...
    Loosely woven Amma...

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    Hmmm..I handstich primitive designs on muslin backed by Warm & Natural..I then I cut and sew the design onto the towel. The W & N hides all the stitches..
    Sounds like I might need to try that Mimi...is the Warm & Natural batting (I'm assuming it's batting) thick, thin? Is it fusible or do you adhere the muslin to the W&N before you cut it and sew it onto the towel?

If it's going thru the washer and dryer I'd stitch it on rather than use fusible.

there are permenent bond adhesives you can use...like liquid stitch you could use heat & bond to adhere a fabric patch then go along the edges with liquid stitch to make sure the edges do not (lift) when washed.

Blog Entries
    I saw a trunk show, cant remember her name, she hust use another piece of a muslin on the back when she embroderidered. I havent tried it, yet.so dont know how it would work but it did give stability to what she was working on.
    Marilyn