Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible Web/Fusible interfacing >

Fusible Web/Fusible interfacing

Fusible Web/Fusible interfacing

Old 09-15-2011, 02:13 AM

I am very new to applique and having so much fun. I've been using wonder under fusible web. I recently bought a pattern for a baby blanket that calls for fusible interfacing. I tried it using fusible web and that didn't work out as you could see the fabric underneath through the applique piece. Can you use fusible interfacing the same as the fusible web? I keep reading something about turning something inside out or something....I'm confused. I'd like to do it like fusible web if I can.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:33 AM

It's not the same thing. One way to solve this is when you cut out the fusible for the shape, cut out the center of it, leaving 1/4" or so to the inside of the drawn line - kind of like a frame. The edges will be fused, but the center won't be. You could then carefully cut the background fabric away leaving just the applique.

If you scroll down on this link, you will see a picture of what I am trying to describe.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...Prep__D47.html
Old 09-15-2011, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

fusable interfacing is a different product from paper backed fusable where both sides are adhered to fabric-
fusable interfacing has a fusable added to one side of it-
when you want a finished edge on appliques you can place a fusable interfacing on top of the shape (right sides together-as in the right side of the fabric to the fusable side of the interfacing) stitch all the way around the shape- then you cut a small slit in the interfacing and turn it all right side out- now your shape has a finished edge and the back is fusable to place on your background.
sometimes interfacings are used to add a bit of stability to thin fabrics, or to line totes, purses- add an extra layer
it stays soft- some paper backed fusables can be quite stiff once pressed to fabrics-fusable interfacing unless it is already stiff- will stay soft/pliable.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:43 AM

Thank you katier825 for the cool link. :P
Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 AM

When I use fusible interfacing I pink the edges if it's something that's round so I don't have to clip, then I cut the slit and turn it inside out and press onto the background fabric. Eleanor Burns has some video's on her Media Theater that show what I am talking about, I am not sure as I haven't checked but you might be able to find this technique on You Tube. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 AM

In your case it sounds as if the fusible interfacing is used as an additional backing to keep the fabric under the applique from showing through. I use this when I have lighter appliques over darker backgrounds. I just iron the interfacing to the back of the fabric I am using for applique and then cut out the shape-it becomes a "new" piece of fabric that won't shadow through. You can still use the fusible web if you are wanting to stick the applique onto the background.